valve type question

/ valve type question #1  

Tompet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO 20, Kubota B3300, BH77, Massey Ferguson 1540
Hi,
I have a Kubota B2920 TLB I want to run a 3pt stump grinder like this picture I found. Since I have a factory backhoe (Kubota BH65) I thought I could use the hydraulic supply lines that feed it into a proper valve as shown in photo. The dealer said I need to install kit with ports and valves mounted on to tractor, awkwardly IMO, when I put backhoe back on. The amount of quantity of items they listed, I felt, was just too much. I said why can't you mount controls on the attachment...was told they have to do it by the book anything else and I'm on my own.

Anyway, I think this idea should work. With using the hydraulic lines that feed the BH when I remove it why couldn't I use that flow source? If that possible?
I'm not sure about type of valve (dual double action) on this set-up open center, open center with power beyond and PRV (which is my guess?) or closed center.

Any info/feedback appreciated

Attachments

• Woods grinder w:valve.png
    Woods grinder w:valve.png
    265.5 KB · Views: 169
  • valve samples.png
    valve samples.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 153
   / valve type question #2  
Yes, you can certainly add a valve to the grinder and use the PB (power beyond) lines to feed it just like your backhoe does.

You will need a OC (open center) valve, two spools for DA cylinders. You can use the stack valve like you pictured or one like the 9-7862 which is cheaper.

/ valve type question
Yes, you can certainly add a valve to the grinder and use the PB (power beyond) lines to feed it just like your backhoe does.

You will need a OC (open center) valve, two spools for DA cylinders. You can use the stack valve like you pictured or one like the 9-7862 which is cheaper.

Kenny,
So the lines that feed my BH (plumbed into area under seat) are considered power beyond lines so I do not need that in the valve I would purchase? Also, does it matter if the valve capacity is rated larger than my tractor rated flow (at around 8gpm)?
Other question DA or SA is acronym for...?
Thanks for feedback.
tp

/ valve type question #4  
Kenny,
So the lines that feed my BH (plumbed into area under seat) are considered power beyond lines so I do not need that in the valve I would purchase? Also, does it matter if the valve capacity is rated larger than my tractor rated flow (at around 8gpm)?
Other question DA or SA is acronym for...?
Thanks for feedback.
tp

Yes, the line that feed the hoe are PB lines-you have to couple them together when you remove the hoe correct? They have the full flow of the pump in them whenever the tractor is running. When you hook it up this way-it becomes the last valve in the series so it (the new valve) does not need to have a PB port on it-just like your hoe valve does not have one.

You want a valve that is rated for equal or greater GPM capacity of your system-NEVER smaller.

DA= Dual Acting, a cylinder with two hoses.
SA= Single Acting, a cylinder with one hose.

/ valve type question
Question leads to another question, the valve should have pressure release option...correct?

Thanks for the clear explanations.
tp

/ valve type question #6  
Question leads to another question, the valve should have pressure release option...correct?

Thanks for the clear explanations.
tp

Yes-correct. Most valves have PRV's (pressure relief valves) in them, the one I linked is adjustable from 2000 to 3500 PSI.

/ valve type question
kennyd,
Thanks for all the clarification.
On this pto machine there is a hose option which I was not planning on purchasing but the description of the hose/connector acronyms were something unfamiliar including term "restricted"...which concerned me it may be something proprietary to these cylinders. I think M and F after the following refer to male/female...not sure on rest.

Adapter, 9/16 JICM x 9/16 ORBM
Adapter, 9/16 JICM x 9/16 ORBM restricted
Hose, 80" x 9/16 JICF x 9/16 JICF
Hose, 94" x 9/16 JICF x 3/4 JICF 90

Am I wrong in assuming that I could get proper adapters (or hydraulic lines with one end to match each end of pto machine cylinder) and use hydraulic lines and fittings to match the Kubota (told they are 1/2" with standard US fittings) or do the hoses for the 3pt machine need to be as listed above? (cylinder(s) size below.
tp

/ valve type question #8  
kennyd,
Thanks for all the clarification.
On this pto machine there is a hose option which I was not planning on purchasing but the description of the hose/connector acronyms were something unfamiliar including term "restricted"...which concerned me it may be something proprietary to these cylinders. I think M and F after the following refer to male/female...not sure on rest.

Adapter, 9/16 JICM x 9/16 ORBM
Adapter, 9/16 JICM x 9/16 ORBM restricted
Hose, 80" x 9/16 JICF x 9/16 JICF
Hose, 94" x 9/16 JICF x 3/4 JICF 90

You are correct, the M and F means Male/Female. The Restricted means it has a very small hole in it, they are used to slow down a function like a small cylinder that moves to fast-they are NEVER use on the input or output side of a valve-only the "work" ports.

Am I wrong in assuming that I could get proper adapters (or hydraulic lines with one end to match each end of pto machine cylinder) and use hydraulic lines and fittings to match the Kubota (told they are 1/2" with standard US fittings) or do the hoses for the 3pt machine need to be as listed above? (cylinder(s) size below.
tp
I don't fully understand the question. You can get hoses made with just about any type/style fitting crimped on the ends, or just get adapters to go from say a ORB (O-ring Boss) fitting on the valve to a NPT or JIC that is crimped on the hose.

Did that answer your question?

/ valve type question
Hi Kennyd
Thanks again.
Your are right, I was not clear. What I should have said was since their is a restriction fitting in the one line I think it may be better to purchase their optional hose kit since they may not specify type of restriction or it may be proprietary to their design... what are your thoughts?

Also, when you said, "...Restricted...very small hole...they are used to slow down a function like a small cylinder that moves too fast-they are NEVER use on the input or output side of a valve-only the "work" ports."
Does this mean that the restriction fitting if used on supply line on feed side of hydraulic cylinder of the attachment?

Also, I was looking at one other brand of grinder, I liked construction and set-up but was concerned about size and weight on my tractor. Anyway, on their optional valve they had an adjustable feed fitting (was told works well with smaller tractors) on their valve set-up (as shown) is this something that supplants the restricted fitting idea and could that be added to valve you originally recommended above?

Thanks,
tp

Attachments

• Baum adj. valve .png
    Baum adj. valve .png
    208.7 KB · Views: 118
   / valve type question #10  
Hi Kennyd
Thanks again.
Your are right, I was not clear. What I should have said was since their is a restriction fitting in the one line I think it may be better to purchase their optional hose kit since they may not specify type of restriction or it may be proprietary to their design... what are your thoughts?

Don't waste your money. See comments below...

Also, when you said, "...Restricted...very small hole...they are used to slow down a function like a small cylinder that moves too fast-they are NEVER use on the input or output side of a valve-only the "work" ports."
Does this mean that the restriction fitting if used on supply line on feed side of hydraulic cylinder of the attachment?
You use them on cylinders, not valves. So it would go between the valve and the cylinder and NOT the between the pump and the valve.

Also, I was looking at one other brand of grinder, I liked construction and set-up but was concerned about size and weight on my tractor. Anyway, on their optional valve they had an adjustable feed fitting (was told works well with smaller tractors) on their valve set-up (as shown) is this something that supplants the restricted fitting idea and could that be added to valve you originally recommended above?

All that is-is a adjustable flow restrictor rather than a fixed one like we already discussed. They are readily available from the Surplus Center and it would be a great idea to use one so you can fine tune the speed to your liking.