variator issues

/ variator issues #1  

2jd212s

Tractor
JD212, JD116h, JD L110, JD L130
Hey there,

Im currently working on my 78 JD212 and I am having issues with the variator. There is no adjustment with the lever. Its like it is pushed all the way forward(in high) all the time. There is nothing putting any tension on the variator pulley, thus causing the belt slap around violently, and ultimately resulting in it jumping. Now the variator pulley has a peculiar knocking sound coming from it at any speed. It sounds like a bearing yet there is no play in it. The transaxle pulley is not bent. The idler pulley jumps violently up and down while it is running. There is some where on the pin the idler pulley mount to resulting in- in and out play but this is not effecting the up and down movement of the pulley. Now I also have a 77212 and that works fine. The variator lever is connected but it never puts and tension down forcing the clutch back to slow it down and i cannot for the life of me see anything that is binding being i have all sheet metal off of tractor. Any ideas from someone who might have run into this problem before?, it would be greatly appreciated.

/ variator issues #2  
I am presuming the 212 is similar to the 112.

Get at least one helper for this project.
With the tractor off, raise the tractor enough to get underneath it?
Is the clutch spring broke?

Now hold the clutch lever down. With the clutch lever down release the tension on the transaxle drive belt by lifting up on the tensioner. Take this belt off the variator. Now remove the belt that goes to the engine. With both belts off does the center V-shaped sheave move side-to-side smoothly? Does this sheave tip or rock side to side on spindle? Check for play in the bearings on whole variator assembly.

This sheave must move freely side-to-side with out binding and tipping. My old 112 the sheave was sticky and binding on the center hub. I cleaned it the best I could with rags and brake cleaner. Put a very, very thin coat of grease on the hub and slid and spun the center sheave until it moved freely. Wiped off all the grease I could to keep it from flinging out onto the belts. Reinstalled the belts and drives like new.

good luck

Roy

/ variator issues
Thank you Roy. Thats a very good idea. As i stated there is a very weird knocking noise
Coming from that pulley assembly along with a squeaking so there is definately
An issue there. I will try it this week and let you know what the result is.
Thank you for your time Roy,
Steve

/ variator issues #4  
From the other thread started
Im having issues with the variator on my 78 212. The transaxle sheave is not bent. The idler pulley is bouncing up and down. There is absolutely no tension on the drive belt. Yet everything is connected and nothing seems to be binding. Now I do have a suspicious knocking noise coming from the variator sheave along with squeaking. My 77 212 is set up exactly the same and I do not see anything out of wack when I compare the two. A gentleman yesterday gave me a good idea from TBN but I have not yet had a chance to try it. If anyone has had similar issues could you please drop me a line and let me know what you think.

Have you looked at the different parts between the '77 and the '78 in jdparts? There is a serial number break at 95000.
Earlier shown first here, later shown second (right).
Edit: And I also don't see a difference either in the main parts about the sheave pulleys.

Attachments

• 212_variator_-95000.JPG
    212_variator_-95000.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,294
  • 212_variator_95000-.JPG
    212_variator_95000-.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,325
Last edited:
   / variator issues
Thank you for your reply. They are identical. Even looking at it by eye and on jd parts. The variator lever is connected to the shaft running to the clutch, but there is space in the bracket so it never pulls back on the clutch to add tension on the belt to slow it down. I cannot see anything binding up. The springs are fine. I think the only thing to do is yank the variator pulley assembly and go from there.

Steve