Tractor News Viable Electric Tractor?

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #21  
Where did those numbers come from? If you check the link below, Schneider Electric claims power plant efficiency is around 35 percent, PLUS line losses to get it from the plant are between 8 and 15 percent. I maintain it's more efficient to burn the fuel in the equipment and skip all the wasteful steps.

How big are Power line losses? - Schneider Electric Blog

Sorry its not preprocessed, chewed, and digested for you. You have to do some searching and math. It will be good for you.

Start at EPA.gov. Look up pollution of coal-fired electric production. There you will find data on emissions per kWh of power generated. They also have sections on thermal efficiency of power generation.

At fueleconomy.gov the EPA lists emissions and energy consumption for vehicles. You will find Tesla Model 3 Long Range consumes 26 kWh per 100 miles.

Then go find diesel and gasoline vehicles to compare against. From the above you know how much emissions per kWh come from coal electricity. With a 9th grade education you should be able to convert that into grams per mile for the Tesla to directly look up against any other vehicle at fueleconomy.gov.

A gallon of gasoline contains 33.7 kWh of heat. The Tesla goes 100 miles on 26 kWh,
100 miles * 33.7 kWh / 26 kWh= 130 MPGe.

Now lets say the Tesla is 100% efficient (it is not). Then an automobile of the same mass getting 30 MPG is 30/130 = 23% efficient as a Tesla.

If a Tesla is 80% efficient then 30 / (130 * 0.80) = 29%

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #22  
Sorry its not preprocessed, chewed, and digested for you. You have to do some searching and math. It will be good for you.

Start at EPA.gov. Look up pollution of coal-fired electric production. There you will find data on emissions per kWh of power generated. They also have sections on thermal efficiency of power generation.

At fueleconomy.gov the EPA lists emissions and energy consumption for vehicles. You will find Tesla Model 3 Long Range consumes 26 kWh per 100 miles.

Then go find diesel and gasoline vehicles to compare against. From the above you know how much emissions per kWh come from coal electricity. With a 9th grade education you should be able to convert that into grams per mile for the Tesla to directly look up against any other vehicle at fueleconomy.gov.

A gallon of gasoline contains 33.7 kWh of heat. The Tesla goes 100 miles on 26 kWh,
100 miles * 33.7 kWh / 26 kWh= 130 MPGe.

Now lets say the Tesla is 100% efficient (it is not). Then an automobile of the same mass getting 30 MPG is 30/130 = 23% efficient as a Tesla.

If a Tesla is 80% efficient then 30 / (130 * 0.80) = 29%

Oh, I get it now. Sorry I'm so dense. So IF I buy a $10K solar panel that will last for perhaps 20 years, and a Tesla, an electric tractor would be great.

Or, without the $10K solar panel I would not count the 35 percent efficiency of the coal fired plant and the line losses, an electric tractor at my place would be cheaper than my diesel to run.

I'm amazed at some of the misinformation from and pandering to global warmists, like the Subaru PZEV. Stands for Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. What a joke.

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #23  
Oh, I get it now. Sorry I'm so dense. So IF I buy a $10K solar panel that will last for perhaps 20 years, and a Tesla, an electric tractor would be great.

Or, without the $10K solar panel I would not count the 35 percent efficiency of the coal fired plant and the line losses, an electric tractor at my place would be cheaper than my diesel to run.

I'm amazed at some of the misinformation from and pandering to global warmists, like the Subaru PZEV. Stands for Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. What a joke.

The whole zero emissions thing is a joke. I guess mining for the battery, building the car, producing electric, maintaining the electric grid, and building roads to drive on didn’t make any emissions.

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #24  
And where will the old batteries go? Dump them into a field somewhere away from population? Like they are doing in several countries, including mine.

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #25  
And where will the old batteries go? Dump them into a field somewhere away from population? Like they are doing in several countries, including mine.

Sure, as long as you can’t see the source it still counts for zero emissions. I think if you had a diesel power plant and the exhaust stack was long enough you could call it zero emissions.

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #26  
The Luddites are coming out in force again.

A commercially viable electric tractor will be here, hopefully within my lifetime.

John Deere, Cat, and FCA are all working on them. Tesla is making a profit, and GM is reconfiguring the Hamtramck plant for electric car and truck production. Ford has announced plans to produce electric pickups.

Also, remember, that $10k solar panel will power your house when it’s not charging your tractor battery.

Technology moves on and changes our lives, mostly for the positive, bet there are always naysayers who want to resist change.

Sometimes they get left behind and fade into the past.

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #27  
Sure, as long as you can’t see the source it still counts for zero emissions. I think if you had a diesel power plant and the exhaust stack was long enough you could call it zero emissions.

That’s not how it works. Are you living in 1920?

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #28  
That’s not how it works. Are you living in 1920?

There was a bit of sarcasm there. That seems to be how the greenies think.

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #29  
When the tech is viable I will spend money on it. It's not there yet. The end.

/ Viable Electric Tractor? #30  
When the tech is viable I will spend money on it. It's not there yet. The end.

Yep, this.

I think a BX or B sized electric tractor would fit a lot of small property owner needs.

I know a lot of people aren't lucky enough to get to work for more than a couple of hours at a time outside anyway.