Vickers CM11-N02R20D-21 control valve

/ Vickers CM11-N02R20D-21 control valve #1  

ETD66SS

Gold Member
I bought a Pettibone 88 this past summer. It's needs some work. One of the first issues I am tackling is the control valve for the front axle leveling. It's basically just 2 HYD cylinders that pivot the front axle so when lifting a load up high, you can level the load.

The issue is when I start the machine, the leveling tips to one side and stays there, deadheading and bogging down the engine. You can still move the machine but it ofc lacks power and stalls out easily because of the deadheading.

The tilt doesn't actuate at all no matter where you move the control lever, just stays to one side.

I removed the control valve and bought a seal kit for it so I could rebuilt it this winter.

I just got it apart, and I think the spool might be too warn to rebuild.

Here are some pictures:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

It looks like in some spots on the spool, the chrome is warn all the way through.

First off, is the spool shot? Secondly, if it is, would this cause the deadheading issue I was experiencing?

/ Vickers CM11-N02R20D-21 control valve #2  
First, I do not know anything about the Pettibone. However, unless the valve scoring is causing the spool to get stuck I do not think the worn spool would be the source of your problem. The worn spool would allow leak down of the cylinder, not cause the pump to be dead headed. It is a spring centered valve so look for something that is not allowing it to return to center. Problem with the linkage or whatever actuates the valve? What is feeding pressure to this valve pair? If it comes from the power beyond of another set of valves, the dead head could be occurring in that valve bank.

/ Vickers CM11-N02R20D-21 control valve #3  
Were the spools tight in the valve bore? From the pictures it looks like the spools are corroded Vs worn. Is there a chance this machine sat for awhile and moisture seeped into these valves? Are they mounted in manner that would allow rain or snow to collect around the end of the spools?

Agree with stonehaller that a worn spool would not cause the cylinder to shift hard one way and stay there.

/ Vickers CM11-N02R20D-21 control valve
When I took apart the valves, there was no corrosion inside. One of the valves is not used, so it was not even supplied with a lever. That spool looks great and is not worn, however I cannot swap spools because they are match ground to each individual vale body.

The only rust I found was in the o-ring groove on the check valve plugs, I still have to clean them up fully.

You can see after pictures here:

The spool that is worn, is definitely not loose in the bore, it's still ten thousandth's of an inch clearance. However, when compared to the fit of the unused spool, it is looser. I can wiggle the worn spool in the bore ever so slightly, I imagine if I put a dial indicator on it, it move maybe .0001" at most. The other spool that didn't get any use has no play at all.

I'm all ready to finish cleaning the parts an reassemble, but I'm not confident this will fix the issue.

As far as the spools getting stuck, no, when running the machine they went back to center just fine.

As far as the way they are mounted, they are mounted horizontally, and water cannot get into the end of the spools. (see this pic for how they are mounted Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet)

As far as what is feeding these valves, I have not really looked into that yet. I'm not sure if pressure comes from another valve bank, or tee'd off from the main pump pressure.

Here is a picture album of the machine in question: Pettibone - Album on Imgur

Last edited:
   / Vickers CM11-N02R20D-21 control valve #5  
Are all the hose connections on the valve the same size? Maybe someone worked on it and hooked the hoses up wrong. It sounds like the valve port which is supposed to go to the tank is hooked to one end of the cylinder. I don't know how it could deadhead like that on its own.

Are all the hose connections on the valve the same size? Maybe someone worked on it and hooked the hoses up wrong. It sounds like the valve port which is supposed to go to the tank is hooked to one end of the cylinder. I don't know how it could deadhead like that on its own.

I initially thought the same thing, but, they are all bent steel hard lines, they only go on one way, you can't mix them up really...

When I put the valves back on, I will definitely trace each line to see where it goes.

Here's a pic of the fittings: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The larger ones are for the supply/tank, and smaller ones for the cylinders.

The only other thing I can think of is the power steering is supplied by this valve bank from this top port here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The power steering does make a **** of a lot of whining.

Last edited:
   / Vickers CM11-N02R20D-21 control valve #7  
I initially thought the same thing, but, they are all bent steel hard lines, they only go on one way, you can't mix them up really...

When I put the valves back on, I will definitely trace each line to see where it goes.

Here's a pic of the fittings: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The larger ones are for the supply/tank, and smaller ones for the cylinders.

The only other thing I can think of is the power steering is supplied by this valve bank from this top port here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The power steering does make a **** of a lot of whining.

I have the same valve on my tractor. On mine that bottom port is hooked to the tank. The power beyond port is on the other end. Yours may not have one, I've seen them without.

I think you've found the problem, the power steering is doing something to deadhead the flow and the high pressure is leaking into one end of the tilt cylinder because of the worn spool. Pics of mine are attached.

EPSN0009.JPGEPSN0008.JPG

Hmm, ok, so the port on yours that goes to the tank, goes to the power steering on mine. I don't have that side port like you have.

Yeah, the power steering whines constantly, but ofc gets much louder when I turn the wheels.

thx for the pics. What is all that for, wing mowers or something?

/ Vickers CM11-N02R20D-21 control valve #10  
Not sure if these will help but here is some information that I have on the CM11 valves. One is parts breakdown and the other is data sheet showing dimensions, model code, etc.

Attachments

• m1729s.pdf
    127.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 303c.pdf
    657 KB · Views: 135