Loader Video ~ Do my FEL arms rattle excessively? DK40 SE

/ Video ~ Do my FEL arms rattle excessively? DK40 SE #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
I shot some video so you can see and hear. Sorry that parts of it are poorly framed.

I searched the forum and didn't find much.

I have 43 hours on this tractor.

Last edited:
   / Video ~ Do my FEL arms rattle excessively? DK40 SE #2  
The one I tested at the dealership sounded exactly like that. I haven't noticed it on mine yet, but the one at the dealership only seemed to do it at certain RPMs and positions. The dealer seemed kind of embarrassed and started looking around for the rattle, thinking something was loose. It turned out to the be indicator rod rattling in its tube. Every time when the rattle came up, we could stop it by dampening the rod w/ a hand.

/ Video ~ Do my FEL arms rattle excessively? DK40 SE #3  
Those are the loader stands your hearing.

/ Video ~ Do my FEL arms rattle excessively? DK40 SE
Those are the loader stands your hearing.

Mostly yes. Towards the end of the video I grabbed one and the symphony got much quieter.

The question is, is this normal?

I'm a bit paranoid that my engine might be vibrating too much.

There is also a bit of engine noise at certain rpms. (sounds like valves) I don't care much for the "It's a diesel" quip.

I may drop by the dealer to play with his other DK40s and see how they sound compared to mine.

/ Video ~ Do my FEL arms rattle excessively? DK40 SE #5  
It's normal. Remove the loader stands and pins/clips and put aside where you can find them when needed.
Level indicator already explained. Engine noise at certain RPMs is likely you not being used to the tractor yet, OR possibly if an actual problem an injector not spraying quite conical, but I doubt it at this low hours. Your vid is around 2K RPMs-2200+/- and with no bucket on and no load that's pretty high RPMs just to run it at for idle purposes; I know you were trying to demonstrate the issues/rattles, but I think you're maybe putting too much emphasis where it is easily solved by above suggestions about the stands and indicator stick. Go use it- it has a 4 year warranty and is in general a bulletproof tractor.
Nice tractor and pasture/fence in foreground.

/ Video ~ Do my FEL arms rattle excessively? DK40 SE #6  
As well as removing the stands and the stand pins/clips I also put rubber spacers and/or zip ties on the quick change pins/clips.
After 400 hrs I have yet to remove my loader.

/ Video ~ Do my FEL arms rattle excessively? DK40 SE #7  
Mostly yes. Towards the end of the video I grabbed one and the symphony got much quieter.

The question is, is this normal?

I'm a bit paranoid that my engine might be vibrating too much.

There is also a bit of engine noise at certain rpms. (sounds like valves) I don't care much for the "It's a diesel" quip.

I may drop by the dealer to play with his other DK40s and see how they sound compared to mine.

Yes its normal put your bucky back on and drive and the vibration will be gone.

/ Video ~ Do my FEL arms rattle excessively? DK40 SE #8  
I have a Woods loader on mine. I am about to hit 800 hours. I removed it one time when I first got it just to see how it worked. Great tractor follow advice posted above.

/ Video ~ Do my FEL arms rattle excessively? DK40 SE #9  
I have a Woods loader on mine. I am about to hit 800 hours. I removed it one time when I first got it just to see how it worked. Great tractor follow advice posted above.
My previous 2008 and new 2012 DK40 with KL401 loader makes the same noise.IMHO normal.

/ Video ~ Do my FEL arms rattle excessively? DK40 SE #10  
Yes its normal put your bucky back on and drive and the vibration will be gone.
Murph,mine has the same rattle with the bucket on or off.