Vintage Gravely 30 inch Mower Deck Lube Question:

/ Vintage Gravely 30 inch Mower Deck Lube Question: #1  

Leighs

Tractor
Gravely 5460
Gravely Mower Deck Lube-2.jpgREF.: Part # 23075 30 inch Rotary Mower Deck Lubrication question:

The Manual, FORM NO. 37063 (7-86) States that Multi-Purpose Grease should be added until it "shows at the Mower Shaft--Under the Mower Deck.

Applying grease through The Grease fitting, P/N 271434, simply deposits the grease into the P/N 22513 Gear Housing, & on to the P/N 22518 bevel gear, without pressure.

In order for grease to be forced down to be seen at the P/N 22522 Seal below the Mower Deck, the entire P/N 22513 Gear Housing, & P/N 22514 Swivel Casting would have to be completely packed with grease, & the grease forced under pressure past the Bevel Gear, Pinion Gear, upper & lower bearings & races before it could be forced past the P/N 22522 Seal, to be "seen at the bottom".

QUESTION: Is the entire P/N 22513 Gear Housing, & 22514 Swivel Casting meant to be entirely pre-packed with grease? Gravely Mower Deck Lube.jpegGravely Mower Deck Lube-3.jpeg

/ Vintage Gravely 30 inch Mower Deck Lube Question: #2  
Funny. I had one of these on the 12 hp Gravely I had for nearly 4 years and never greased it. It was the most used implement. I maintained 3 miles of trails and mowed the lawn and even my neighbor's with it quite a bit.

Ralph

/ Vintage Gravely 30 inch Mower Deck Lube Question:
I bought the unit, used, about 30 years ago, & only pumped a few shots of grease into that location as a yearly maintenance routine, & never had any problems.

Recently, the cotter-pin in the upper Spindle attach nut sheared, & I had to take the Gear Housing loose from the Swivel Housing for repair.

The Spindle turns on upper, & lower Cone bearings/ Races; which were both still packed with grease, & showed no significant signs of wear.

I wanted to put it pack properly as per the manual; but "oddly", the manual states to simply pump a few shots of grease through the Grease-fitting, which simply deposes it onto the Bevel Gear, but no mention of periodically re-packing the Bearings in the conventional way?

I don't know how that grease would be expected to gravity feed, passed the Bevel, & Pinion gears, down the Spindle, & past the Bearings & Races, & through the lower Seal, to be seen from the bottom; & I've never noted any grease at the lower seal location?

/ Vintage Gravely 30 inch Mower Deck Lube Question: #4  
I bought the unit, used, about 30 years ago, & only pumped a few shots of grease into that location as a yearly maintenance routine, & never had any problems.

Recently, the cotter-pin in the upper Spindle attach nut sheared, & I had to take the Gear Housing loose from the Swivel Housing for repair.

The Spindle turns on upper, & lower Cone bearings/ Races; which were both still packed with grease, & showed no significant signs of wear.

I wanted to put it pack properly as per the manual; but "oddly", the manual states to simply pump a few shots of grease through the Grease-fitting, which simply deposes it onto the Bevel Gear, but no mention of periodically re-packing the Bearings in the conventional way?

I don't know how that grease would be expected to gravity feed, passed the Bevel, & Pinion gears, down the Spindle, & past the Bearings & Races, & through the lower Seal, to be seen from the bottom; & I've never noted any grease at the lower seal location?
Pack it full about once a year if it needs it..