Vintage Row Crop vs Farm Utility?

/ Vintage Row Crop vs Farm Utility? #11  
I think stability of a wide front depends on the tractor design and where the stops are. But yes, they pivot in the middle so initially they are a tricycle.

/ Vintage Row Crop vs Farm Utility?
This is one of the concepts I learned early on with my Kubota BX on uneven hilly terrain...

The tractor is as stable as the rear wheels are positioned.

There is a narrow front Ford for sale that would make a great project but I have never been drawn to them as I have to the small utility tractors...

/ Vintage Row Crop vs Farm Utility? #13  
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this, there is almost no difference in the tip over on side hills in practical use.
I have put many hours on tractors on sidehills, narrow front and wide steep enough that your implements where traveling down hill and it would require brake dragging
to travel and the tractor itself would have a bit of crabbing going on. This was mostly on row crop tractors, the emergence of 4wd tractors was major factor in the safety
on side hills. Even with 4wd everything tends to crab across these nice side hills.
Years ago probably 40 or 50 there was a study done on this subject using actual comparable tractors I have looked for it a couple of times and haven't seen it.
This is a discussion which has been going on as long as tractors have had front ends.

From here:
https://ecosystems.psu.edu/research...-woodlots/tractor-overturn-hazards-fact-sheet

"For a tractor to stay upright, its CG must stay within the tractor's stability baseline. Stability baselines are imaginary lines drawn between points where tractor tires contact the ground. The line connecting the rear tire contact points is the rear stability baseline, while the lines connecting the rear and front tires on the same side are the side stability baselines. Front stability baselines exist but have limited use in stability/instability considerations, and are not normally included in such discussions. See Figure 1 for a complete illustration of a tractor's CG and stability baselines."

It has nothing to do with where the front axle pivots. It has to do entirely with where the tires contact the ground.

/ Vintage Row Crop vs Farm Utility? #14  
Front stability baselines exist but have limited use in stability/instability considerations, and are not normally included in such discussions.

The rear wheel spacing has the most to do with the stability,
Nice article and I'll agree with most of it but not all,
them college boys can do good with paper and pencil but not in the field.

/ Vintage Row Crop vs Farm Utility? #15  
I do not think the Penn State article is correct even though it was published on the internet. :eek: :confused2: :eek:

/ Vintage Row Crop vs Farm Utility? #16  
All I know is I tipped over way more times on this

1D0C269F-EB63-46D8-B7F9-D9966309CB19.jpeg

VS this....

23BBF913-2B3E-4312-B34B-3E314F19B81B.jpeg

:laughing:

/ Vintage Row Crop vs Farm Utility? #18  
While the front axle may pivot in the center, the wider distance between the tires makes the center of gravity stay within the tip-over point better than narrow wheels. A foot or two of distance on either side is huge.

That's simply not true Moss. Sorry.

/ Vintage Row Crop vs Farm Utility? #19  
If you are on a sidehill and you pivot to the stops on a wide front you have gone over.
On flat ground with a loader lifting a rear tire and tilting it to the stop you will be cleaning out your drawers.

And they where considerably appreciated over the alternatives.

You were doing so good Lou.

Your first sentence simply is not true. Sorry.