Vintage tractors in action!

/ Vintage tractors in action! #21  
Dang, why didn't Rich go for the JD in the background? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif What did they get for that beauty?

/ Vintage tractors in action! #22  
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/44-183493-RichiewithhisnewOliver1550-1024.jpg>In fact... nobody could get Richie off the seat... until he bid and won her...</A> /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Attachments

• 44-183493-RichiewithhisnewOliver1550-1024.jpg
    44-183493-RichiewithhisnewOliver1550-1024.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 142
   / Vintage tractors in action! #23  
<font color=blue>...why didn't Rich go for the JD in the background...</font color=blue>

Mike...

Richie was all wrapped up in the Oliver... if the John Deere went for $5.... he wouldn't care... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Richie was on a mission... "Take that Oliver home... or bust..." /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Vintage tractors in action!
Hi, Mike!! Long time, no see!/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Yep, that's horse manure.

The straw mixed into it is the remains of bedding. I use straw for bedding in my horse stalls.

I spread manure in each hay field as soon as possible after I cut and bale the hay. The manure in that pile ranged from one year old to two months old, but it was pretty well composted throughout. You can especially tell it's well composted, because there was very little straw visible, as most of it had decomposed. Every morning I clean the stalls and remove the manure and soiled straw. You'd be surprised how much of the straw is soaked with urine, and I remove that along with the manure. The pee soaked straw decomposes very fast. I move each manure pile around with my loader periodically to mix it, so it decomposes faster. Besides spreading it in the hayfields, we use it in our gardens, and I even fill the occaisional pot hole in my dirt driveway with it. Our raised bed gardens are filled with 100% horse manure.

It's great stuff to have, and has so many uses! I don't know what people without horses do without it!!!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Mike, what John says is quite true. My local farmer friends and advisers had been telling me the virtues of Oliver tractors, and how you get a lot of bang for the buck with them. I knew there would be an Oliver 1550 at that auction, and that was what I wanted most. When I saw it was in great shape with an Oliver factory installed loader, I fell in love./w3tcompact/icons/love.gif No matter what John or anyone else told me, I wanted that tractor. But my spending limit was $5000. When the tractor went up for bid, it had one of the largest number of bidders at the auction. I kept bidding until I hit $5000 on the nose, and amazingly, the bidding stopped, and I won my Oliver! I have NEVER regretted it! It's a GREAT tractor, and I STILL love it!!!/w3tcompact/icons/love.gif/w3tcompact/icons/love.gif/w3tcompact/icons/love.gif

/ Vintage tractors in action! #26  
Is the Oliver diesel?

Nope, Mike, it's gas. I actually wanted another gas tractor (my Ferguson is also gas). I actually don't like diesel and prefer gas for the following reasons:
1. Gas is easier to start in cold weather.
2. Gas is much quieter.
3. If I run out of gas in the field (which I am definitely dumb enough to do) I just refill it and go.

/ Vintage tractors in action! #28  
..."It's great stuff to have, and has so many uses! I don't know what people without horses do without it!!! "...

We haul it in! I have a friend with a couple of horses on a teeny little rental plot, and no way to dispose of the horse exhaust. I park my utility trailer over there, and she calls me when it's full. That's good for 4-5 loads a year, which I mix with the output from my chickens, sheep and llama. Makes excellent compost.

Unfortunately, in this part of Maine, straw is expensive stuff, has to be trucked in, so most folks bed with wood shavings from any of the local lumber mills. Much cheaper, but takes longer to compost, and makes the compost a bit more acidic than is ideal. The pile in the attachment is about a year old.

Attachments

• 44-183805-compost.jpg
    44-183805-compost.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 139
   / Vintage tractors in action! #29  
Hazmat, thats what you call the shitz hitting the fan!!