Wacko Kioti Issue

/ Wacko Kioti Issue #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
Today I was using my tractor to move logs, trees and a few other things. Later in the day I went out again to trim branches that keep hitting me when going thru the woods. I had just shifted my HST from L to H and gone 20 feet when my tractor stopped moving. The dash said I was in L. The shifter was in H. The calibration light for the HST was lit. I shut the tractor off. No matter where I put the shift lever the L light stayed on. The calibration light was still on. I read my manual and recalibrated the shift lever. To do this you set the brakes, hold down the calibration button and turn the key on. This fixed the shift lever and I could start the tractor. I could not get the calibration light to go off. Every time I shut the tractor off the shift indicator light was back in L even though the lever was in H. After 4x of resetting the calibration of the lever I went down under the tractor. All the plugs were connected. I unplugged every plug and put them back together. I'm not sure what the problem was but that shut the calibration light off.

Last edited:
   / Wacko Kioti Issue
sometimes them little electrons get perfused and go to the wrong place.
That was my thought too and why I disconnected everything under the tractor and plugged them back in. I'm just glad that it worked. Loading my tractor on a trailer would not have been fun with a 3PTH chipper on the back and forks on the front. My tractor was also facing the wrong direction on a raised bed road.

/ Wacko Kioti Issue #4  
I wonder if a stick or something pulled the wires and plugs just enough to make it go crazy and when you replugged everything, it pretty much fixed itself.

/ Wacko Kioti Issue
I wonder if a stick or something pulled the wires and plugs just enough to make it go crazy and when you replugged everything, it pretty much fixed itself.
Nope, all the connectors have a safety clip to hold them together. All of them were clipped and pushed all the way in before I pulled them apart. What is weird is i was driving on my logging road which is covered with crushed rock and clear of all debris. It sure had me puzzled. Electronics are a real pain in the butt sometimes. I had an EVAP fault on my Pontiac G6 GT recently. The purge valve on the motor wasn't working. I pulled the wire terminal to check the voltage and it was okay. I plugged it back in and I heard the valve start working for a few seconds. I wiggled the plug and it started up again. I pulled the plug off again, twisted the terminal blades a little bit on the valve with needle nose pliers and installed the plug with electrical grease. Bingo, it works fine now. If the tractor acts up again I will do each plug one at a time to figure out which one it is that is causing the problem.

Last edited:
   / Wacko Kioti Issue #6  
Maybe a little dielectric grease on those plug connections might help?

/ Wacko Kioti Issue
Maybe a little dielectric grease on those plug connections might help?

I agree with the dielectric grease. That will be my next move if it happens again. These are all sealed connectors. If it is a plug, I would like to know which one it is that caused the problem and fix it. My thought is that the shift selector switch or connector is the problem. I think it lost the connection which made the electronics go haywire.

Last edited:
   / Wacko Kioti Issue #9  
Your of and on of the connectors was simply a power off reset to some logic controller.

/ Wacko Kioti Issue
I wonder if disconnecting the battery would do the same?

would, I think, catch a lot of dust and make a mess.
Disconnecting the battery would do the same thing but not tell me if I do have a bad connection or switch. Dielectric grease on these connectors will not collect dust and dirt as they are all of the sealed type were there are rubber seals on the female end to keep dust and water out of the connector.

Last edited: