Wal-Mart meat!

/ Wal-Mart meat! #41  
I wish Publix would buy out Ingles...I hate that place...everything marked to expire tomorrow or next week depending...at least W-M buys newer stock...

/ Wal-Mart meat! #42  
I wish Publix would buy out Ingles...I hate that place...everything marked to expire tomorrow or next week depending...at least W-M buys newer stock...

So, fire them.

I have been pleased with my shopping experiences at Ingles stores in Statesville, NC and Seneca and West Union, SC.

Steve

Last edited:
   / Wal-Mart meat! #43  
Agreed Steve. When you see what those poor folks in other countries put up with we need to be more grateful. I live out in the country and have a Food Lion and IGA within 3 miles in either direction. I know the area you are referring to in Statesville and it is one busy place.

/ Wal-Mart meat! #44  
Bird, don't you have an H.E.B. close by? Much better quality and the prices are very close to ChinaMart, and they source as much local products as they can.

Nope, no H.E.B. near us. They own some land in Denton, so the local newspaper has speculated that we might have H.E.B. someday, but H.E.B. denies it. We used to shop there in Corsicana, and H.E.B. in Aransas Pass used to be my mother's favorite.

/ Wal-Mart meat!
The things I don't like about wally world is the stores are to greedy and they put the mom and pops stores out of business. So people that buy their meat there better hope they don't cut corners in the meat dept.

/ Wal-Mart meat! #46  
So, fire them.

I have been pleased with my shopping experiences at Ingles stores in Statesville, NC and Seneca and West Union, SC.

Steve

Ingles used to be only in the western end of NC. Lowes Food Stores is located in Hickory. Back in the day owners of both stores agreed to not compete with each other. You never saw an Ingles east of Morganton. You never saw a Lowes west of Hickory. That agreement has since long been gone.

My experiences at Ingles has been positive the few times I have shopped there. My wife and I will take a few days off to the mountains and Ingles are dominant in a lot of those areas.

/ Wal-Mart meat! #47  
Meat is about the only thing we don't buy at Walmart. The prices are much better at local groceries in our area. Last weekend we had the local butcher cut us 20 1" thick t-bones for $6.49/lb. and trust me, they are delicious. This morning a friend of mine is heading over to a meat sale in Cayuga IN. They have whole ribeye for $4.99/lb. and new york strip for $3.99/lb. !!

Kevin

/ Wal-Mart meat! #48  
The things I don't like about wally world is the stores are to greedy and they put the mom and pops stores out of business. So people that buy their meat there better hope they don't cut corners in the meat dept.

Maybe the gov't should step in and close all the Walmart, Costco, Sam's club, Kroger, Meijer, type stores.

But why stop there, they should close all big box national stores. Menards, home Depot, Lowe's, tractor supply, dollar generals, etc etc.

That way all we are left with is small mom and pop stores and we can all pay more for everything:thumbsup:

/ Wal-Mart meat! #49  
The consumer market is always undergoing change. Think of effects the online ordering may have on the regular stores today?

For those who want quality meat remember the source also requires quality conditions which will increase costs. So, again, it's a matter of paying for what you want.

Of course some areas may have a good regular supply of Goodyear Hamburger which may come at very reasonable prices.

/ Wal-Mart meat! #50  
Maybe the gov't should step in and close all the Walmart, Costco, Sam's club, Kroger, Meijer, type stores.

But why stop there, they should close all big box national stores. Menards, home Depot, Lowe's, tractor supply, dollar generals, etc etc.

That way all we are left with is small mom and pop stores and we can all pay more for everything:thumbsup:

You beat me to it.:thumbsup:

The excellent Tim Worstall* had a recent article about how consumers have benefited, and will continue to benefit, from creative destruction in food retailing. The motivation for the article comes from the planned expansion of Aldi and Lidl in the US.

A slice.

"But it is true that the entire supermarket is a technological package. And the bit that Walmart brought to it, in the economic sense, was the command of the new technological possibilities from the barcode. Sure, we can talk about Sam Walton's commitment to everyday low prices and so on but the technological heart of the deal was that Sam knew how to plug the information from the cash tills, what was rolling out the door, back into the entire supply chain. So that the sale of diapers at the front of the house was known by the guys loading the trucks at the regional depot, that the manufacturers knew how many were walking out the door. It's this increased efficiency that allowed those low prices, the whole process then feeding upon itself in a virtuous spiral.

What Aldi and Lidl do is turn that technology once again to an even more efficient tuning. They carry perhaps 1,000--1,500 SKUs. You can still get honey roast ham but there will be only one brand of it, one type. It'll be perfectly acceptable, that one type, and many of their offerings win in blind taste tests. They also, usually at least, contract to have these things made for them. There are no brand advertising expenses, over and above those by the store chain itself. The reduction in choice and the absence of brands other than own leads to lower prices once again. And again another turn of that virtuous spiral where we consumers get our lives catered for us at ever lower prices."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2017/06/12/aldi-to-spend-3-4-billion-making-americans-very-much-richer-just-like-walmart-did/#4078cfb469f8

Steve

* I say "excellent" because I agree with just about everything he writes. :)