Walk behind brush mowers

/ Walk behind brush mowers
Was very surprised to find this locally via Facebook marketplace...

Doesn't have some of the fancy features of the new DR stuff, but it was a less than 1/3rd the price of a new machine. USA made, too. Seller was an older gentleman not far from me. Motor has a new carb, fresh filters and oil, an oversized battery (he welded up a custom tray to hold the battery; crude, but works). Has a recoil start as well as the electric start. Seems to run well for its age, all the controls operate as they should.

Will post back once I've had a chance to try it on some brush and saplings.

IMG_20220902_153323137.jpg

/ Walk behind brush mowers #12  
That's the way to buy one instead of paying new prices.

One thing to check is whether a rock/debris guard in place between the operator's station and the cutting deck. I've been hit by more than one flying rock.

/ Walk behind brush mowers #13  
Considering adding one to the equipment shed.

We have 60+ acres, mostly wooded. We enjoy creating more usable space in the woods, walking trails, sitting areas. Where possible, I brush hog with my Yanmar and an Andy 400 clipper, but there are a lot of places I simply can't go or maneuver the cutting deck into. I'm thinking a narrow, walk behind brush cutter would speed up the process of making new spaces and also keeping existing areas well tended.

Interested in hearing about others' experiences with these machines.
Had a 12 hp Gravely 5665 for nearly 4 years. It had the 30 inch brush hog out front. Worked great after I found some steering brakes and put them on. Before that, I could not handle it.

It does not have enough grip to make it up and down our hill behind the house. So, we went to 4wd tractors starting in 2004.

The brush hog on the Gravely was great as a brush hog and also a lawn mower, not digging up the lawn like the brush hogs behind our 4wd tractors. It was especially nice with a ride-on trolley towed behind it. Could sit on the trolley with one hand on the steering bar and work it.

Remove your trail wheel on your tractor's brush hog and back into stuff, if you need to get into tight places.

/ Walk behind brush mowers #14  
20 years ago I bought a DR (walk behind) brushcutter. I was a beast, it would cut just about everything...I even hit a leaf covered concrete block and it won that battle.

It was a work out on rough terrain but newer models have steering which would help a lot. I used to use mine like you described, on trails too steep for a tractor. It followed deer trails. When I took it along for trail work on state forest trails it was a wonder! (Horse club with authorization to clear state trails.)
I have had my DR since 1998, has a 15 hp Kawasaki engine that runs like a top,
Use it many times in the summer, just used today
Only parts replaced since new so far have been oil changes, oil filters, gas filter, one fuel pump, and two belts, I have two blades I swap out
I use it hard, one of my best equipment buys, I have no idea what their new stuff is like

Last edited:
   / Walk behind brush mowers
The new-to-me Snapper works great. Thanks for all of the input here, gents.

/ Walk behind brush mowers #16  
I have had my DR since 1998, has a 15 hp Kawasaki engine that runs like a top,
Use it many times in the summer, just used today
Only parts replaced since new so far have been oil changes, oil filters, gas filter, one fuel pump, and two belts, I have two blades I swap out
I use it hard, one of my best equipment buys, I have no idea what their new stuff is like
Had a DR with string trimmer. Could not handle it. They have them self propelled now.