Wall covering

/ Wall covering #1  

3Ts

Elite Member
Tractor
Case, Kubota, John Deere
I have a concrete block wall with the cores filled with concrete and a steel door whose hinge pins line up with the face of the concrete block. The door will open 160* which is what I need it to do. However, the builder has put 3/4" lath and 1/2" drywall over the block wall with the door trim making the whole thickness about 2" next to the hinge and the door will only open about 100* now. This is an inside wall and part of a storm room. So I'm going to have him take the drywall and lath off so the door will open further. My question is: What kind of material will stick to a concrete block wall and blend in with the adjacent drywall? I thought about stucco, but that's pretty rough. What about gluing drywall directly to the block? I would think that should work. What about drywall mud over concrete block? That doesn't sound like it would work though. -- The covering has to be pretty thin, less than 1/2". Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

/ Wall covering #2  
Re hang the door so the jamb is flush with the interior finish surface, like any other door. Then it will open fully,180 deg. And look correct

/ Wall covering #3  
Re hang the door so the jamb is flush with the interior finish surface, like any other door. Then it will open fully,180 deg. And look correct

Second this!!

OP- your ideas, to be blunt, are terrible. Just have the contractor fix his mistake and hang the door properly.

/ Wall covering #4  

Specifically, the frame of the door has to be the same thickness as the finished wall. If it's not, move the frame so that the hinge side is flush with the wall, then extend the frame with pieces of trim on the other side to make it flush.

/ Wall covering
Sorry I did not make it clear. The door is installed correctly, it is an engineered door intended for a concrete block wall. The exterior is not a problem for finishing and can accomodate lath and drywall or anything else. It is intended as a temporary, utilitarian interior. I want to improve the utilitarian interior without losing the opening ability. The frame is a "C" channel and the hinges are welded to the door and the frame. It can not be modified without the modification being sent for destructive testing. Here's the door frame - it's the "C" channel on the 2nd page. https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a4cd77_8b42206dba724e84ade66dafec7c40fd.pdf

And here's the web page describing the door. Tornado Shelter Door ForceShield Tornado Doors

Essentially I'm trying to use it in a application a little different than intended.

/ Wall covering #6  
I think you can probably just use drywall compound to transition it, but I致e never actually tried it directly on concrete.

You can parge it and then do a top coat of one of those paintable epoxy products. The trick will be to get a god surface finish.