Want to kill grass....not trees

/ Want to kill grass....not trees #1  

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
My goal is to eliminate using a trimmer around the fence line and trees. Is there something I can use to kill grass and not harm trees. Trees are oaks, maples, spruce, birch.

/ Want to kill grass....not trees #2  
Roundup... it only kills what it touches; won't hurt spraying the bark on your trees.

/ Want to kill grass....not trees #3  
Roundup... it only kills what it touches; won't hurt spraying the bark on your trees.
Agree with this. I use roundup around the base of all my trees, just far enough so that I can mow and I don't need to trim. I also use it at the base of my permanently places snow fences. For the fence it does help with mowing but in this case is is to prevent the weeds from getting tangled in the fence as they grow which will eventually pull the fences down..

/ Want to kill grass....not trees #4  
Generic glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup.

/ Want to kill grass....not trees #6  
Thanks guys. Round up it is.

You should be fine. But - below is what the manufacturer says.

IMG_1279.JPG

Good luck.

MoKelly

/ Want to kill grass....not trees #7  
You can purchase cone like shields that go on the end of wands. I have them on my Solo back pack sprayers, and they are easily removed or installed. It will absolutely control drift. Check em out

/ Want to kill grass....not trees #8  
drag a roundup soaked rope. Roundup does affect small trees and some evergreens.

/ Want to kill grass....not trees #9  
Our neighbors had this pretty tree (weeping plum) in their yard near house. He said he was going to spray Roundup around to kill weeds and grass. He was careful but the tree died, I'm thinking it got into the soil killing roots.
Me...I'd spray Roundup along fence lines and mulch around trees/shrubs.

/ Want to kill grass....not trees #10  
Thanks guys. Round up it is.

Roundup killed all but one fruit tree on my property and damaged the survivor badly.

If it's a big, mature, old tree, it should be fine for a while. But round up will kill trees over a period of time. It doesn't always happen immediately. It doesn't happen always the first year. But after a while, it will kill some, maybe a lot of, trees.

I only use roundup around stuff I don't like or don't care about.

word