Want to kill grass....not trees

/ Want to kill grass....not trees #21  
If all else fails you can always go to an agricultural supply store (NOT a so-called Super-Store) that sells fertilisers and chemicals. They'll be able to provide the proper advice.

I have a problem with bracken, a 'woody' stemmed plant that only a bladed trimmer head will truly cut. It's in and around my grass horse paddocks. I travelled to Scottsdale (Tas) to visit either an "Elders" or "Roberts" store and they sold me, with qualified advice, a crystalline product that came with a 'proportion' guide for various plant-types. It worked a treat!

Proper tool for the job.

/ Want to kill grass....not trees #22  
I've sprayed glyphosate around my 600 trees for over 20 years and have never damaged one. I use a backpack Echo diaphragm sprayer from Home Depot ($70) and 1 3/4% to 2% mix of concentrate product. I even spray the ground suckers on ornamental fruit trees to kill them. It slows them down for a year or so.

The evergreen branches near the ground get hit occasionally but never a problem. I do try to avoid the fresh new bright green growth in the spring but it doesn't seem to impact them.

It would seem a larger % of product and soaking of the foliage with a soaker nozzle might damage a tree but I don't do that. I use a sprayer tip off my boom sprayer and use a no-drip screen that has a check valve. I use a light wisp of a spray because that's all it takes to kill grass and weeds with glyphosate. Works great for me.

1--Here's a Tee-Jet tip I use. I The lowest flow is the best and I think mine is red.

iu-2.jpeg
2--Here's the no-drip check valve filter I use. Goes in the nozzle.
iu-3.jpeg

3--I don't use this last nozzle. Puts out waaay too much liquid for me.iu.jpeg