3-Point Hitch Was bush hogging today ...

/ Was bush hogging today ... #1  

merrickvilleguy

Gold Member
So, I just got my mf1635 today ... 2hrs later, I lost a cotter pin on the 3 point hitch (where the lift arms hook up to the implement) and the mower is on the ground (at least one side anyways) ...

any way to avoid this ? I imagine it caught a branch or something

the pins are the loop spring type

/ Was bush hogging today ... #2  
yeah! I bet I lost 100 of them, and they'll usually turn up later somewhere, after I have already replaced them, You might as well get you a supply of them :thumbsup: depending on how often you change implements you could get the kind of pins that drop in and then has another pin that goes through a hole on the end, not to say though something couldn't hang and pull these out as well,:cool:

Last edited:
   / Was bush hogging today ...
see now thats a good one ... will have to see if I can find at tsc (only game in town) ... needless to say I'll be picking up a ton of of spares ... was having such a blast out there today wasn't much fun to cut it short because of a lost part =)

/ Was bush hogging today ... #4  
When you go to TSC to get the pins if you think to yourself "HUMMMM ..ill get five pins" that means get ten.. they are cheap

/ Was bush hogging today ... #5  
When I used to mow in heavy brush alot, I went to straight pins with no loop, but they did have a hole in them for a hairpin.. I installed key ring loops in the pins instead. never lost another, and still prety easy to remove..

soundguy

/ Was bush hogging today ...
hmmm thats a good idea too, and seems to work with my cheapness too

/ Was bush hogging today ... #7  
my NH dealer showed me that one. My NH1920 had lynch pins holding the lower lift arms on.. in brush they got pulled off regular. with those big pins and loops.. never lost another one..

soudnguy

/ Was bush hogging today ... #8  
I have always used these pins for my implements. I ocassionally loose one on the lower lift arms holding them to the tractor since i mow in heavy brush but I usually restock whenever im down to 4. I use cotter pins for things like the pins that hold the teeth to the boxblade and for the top pins on the 3 point set ups. All i can say is it works for me.

Attachments

• 6-2-10 014.JPG
    6-2-10 014.JPG
    915.8 KB · Views: 309
   / Was bush hogging today ... #9  
I bailing wire my lynch pins to SLOW the loose rate.

E/S

/ Was bush hogging today ... #10  
Early on, I lost some lynch pins to the brush devils. The potential unfortunate results of an implement dropping off on one side, or a lift arm dropping off, is inviting a broken casting (which is very expensive to fix).

Since going with a quick hitch (iMatch), I secure all pins with bolts and lock nuts. They won't snag and allow the arms to become disconnected. My Deere even had lynch pins where the 3 pt arms attach at the axle pivot points. No earthly reason for having them under there ( and I did lose one, but no broken castings).
This pic shows the bolt and lock nut, in place of the factory-supplied lynch pin.

Attachments

• 3pt_arm_bolted.jpg
    3pt_arm_bolted.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 356