Was looking for a golf cart...bought a Mule

/ Was looking for a golf cart...bought a Mule
Simpler is better I have decided.

I have never owned a UTV but since retiring from my paying job last year Ive been looking and of course TBN is a great resource.

Wife actually told me once to just buy another tractor if I was going "to spend THAT much on it" talking about a UTV. I have a farm truck but keep going back to how much fun a gator or something like that would be.

Biggest drawback on all of the ones I've seen is the bed is too short. It needs to be an 8' bed to be to be really considered a Utility vehicle.

A bed that long would defeat the many other benefits of a UTV. But I wish my bed was a foot longer.

/ Was looking for a golf cart...bought a Mule #42  
I find both beds in my old E-Gator and Mule 2510 "Perfect" for size. Although stuff like shovels, rakes and trimmers are always sticking out and you have to remember when driving close to something.

I have moved a bunch of 8 foot or longer material (in fact yesterday) that I just lie accross the bed. Never have far to go and just take it slow.

Last edited:
   / Was looking for a golf cart...bought a Mule #43  
A bed that long would defeat the many other benefits of a UTV. But I wish my bed was a foot longer.

I find both beds in my old E-Gator and Mule 2510 "Perfect" for size. Although stuff like shovels, rakes and trimmers are always sticking out and you have to remember when driving close to something.

I have moved a bunch of 8 foot or longer material (in fact yesterday) that I just lie accross the bed. Never have far to go and just take it slow.

Looks like Mahindra had and may still have a long box model.

WHY WOULD YOU Even consider a MAHINDRA UTV? 🤔 - YouTube

Ive thought about turning stuff sideways but not sold on that.

shooter don, you have a point and usually manufacturers have a good reason for doing things the same. But That bed on the Mahindra looks like a good size.

/ Was looking for a golf cart...bought a Mule #44  
Looks like Mahindra had and may still have a long box model.

WHY WOULD YOU Even consider a MAHINDRA UTV? �� - YouTube

Ive thought about turning stuff sideways but not sold on that.

shooter don, you have a point and usually manufacturers have a good reason for doing things the same. But That bed on the Mahindra looks like a good size.

I haven't used our Gator too much yet, but my opinion is that the bed is a good compromise on capacity vs maneuverability, especially if you are mostly hauling dirt/stone/firewood etc. Stuff that can pretty much fit into any space available. More especially because you can pretty easily extend the sides. But, not so great for hauling lumber, pipe, branches (other than fruit tree prunings), etc. I wouldn't mind an extra foot. 6" would be a help and it wouldn't even have to affect the wheelbase/turning radius.

Then again, I have to assume they picked the specs they did for pretty good reasons. JD didn't get to where they were by making lots of stupid mistakes.

/ Was looking for a golf cart...bought a Mule #45  
If they made them, they did so on stuff that I bought .lol

Club car had some rather long decks for the golf mainenance business.

I find the lack of a longer bed to be more beneficial to find a spot to stick the machine in a crowded building, Rather than any navigation issues.

/ Was looking for a golf cart...bought a Mule #46  
I find the current beds big enough.

I mainly carry tools (chainsaw/gas/bar oil) pruners, hand tools, not dirt, firewood, rocks, etc.

I do hope to move a couple deer each fall too! I am thinking a front mounted basket (in 2" receiver) so I don't have to lift the deer so high to put them in the box.

/ Was looking for a golf cart...bought a Mule #47  
It may be that I would be as well off to just use a small trailer for the T posts, wire, etc long stuff.

I have a small trailer that needs some work. Would be easy enough to make it a dedicated trailer for that. Just seems a longer bed would be handy.

/ Was looking for a golf cart...bought a Mule #48  
My Mule Bed is full of Rocks and fines, along with my in-bed screening system. I doubt the lift will budge it.

I tried driving over rough terrain, to seperate the material, and was quite impressed and disappointed. The Mule drove like a Cadilac with that weight in the bed.

/ Was looking for a golf cart...bought a Mule #49  
With the addition of a 200 yard range, I was looking for a cheap vehicle to run back and forth. I was shocked to see used golf carts in decent condition going for $4000+

Stopped at the local Kawasaki dealer last Friday and they had a sale on SX 4x4 FI Mules...under $7000. Liked having a dump bed. Nice to get a three year warranty. We did about 5 hours of logging road and two track riding over the long weekend. It seemed quieter compared to my buddy痴 570 Polaris...but it is not as fast. But we do not drive fast on those roads anyway.

I was concerned it would tear up the lawn but no issues with that

Will be adding a roof, extra LED lights, folding bench seat that is quick detachable in the bed and a trailer hitch.

Wish I had got the XC with extra clearance but pleased otherwise.

You did well. I bought an electric EZGO PDS to use for Drivers Ed training for the twins a few years before they turned 16 that is handy around the place but a Mule would be much better went spraying with the 30 gallon tank in spots on the rough side. My BIL many years ago bought a gas cart and had it lifted and it is still going strong around the place.