Washing an old tractor

OP
S

SgtSluggo

Tractor
Ford 1700
Thanks for all the advice. I've got some Simple Green already, so maybe I'll start there with some low pressure water and see how far that gets me.

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
My 'go to' solution for greasy parts is foamy oven cleaners.*
Very caustic stuff but it sure removes grease.
Just rinse carefully afterwards to neutralize the caustic residue,
(Also great for carburetor cleaning)

*dollar store quality is just fine!

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3, Kubota M9000 HD, Kubota Sidekick UTE
Thanks for all the advice. I've got some Simple Green already, so maybe I'll start there with some low pressure water and see how far that gets me.
For my use, simple green is worthless.

SylvainG

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti LK30
Just to reiterate, the purple SimpleGreen ProHD undiluted. Not the green bottle stuff.

CoyPatton

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2002D with Koyker 110 FEL
GunK Engine Degreaser and pressure washer or just garden hose with squirt nozzle.... Not familiar with model but if its gas, try to keep distributor dry.... IF you get moisture in distributor cap, it not going to run very well if it starts at all, but you can remove cap and dry insides with Kleenex tissues....

Surprising enough, Simple Green works pretty well also...

Dale
Pull the distributor cap and spray it down with any penetrating oil that has a decent alcohol content. It eill evaporate any moisture and allow starting easily (assuming it started easily before).

DL Meisen

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
Pull the distributor cap and spray it down with any penetrating oil that has a decent alcohol content. It eill evaporate any moisture and allow starting easily (assuming it started easily before).
Years ago a friend of mine used to have a "boat" repair shop next to a "U" SQUIRT car wash, he could have made a small fortune selling Kleenex tissues to stranded wash the engine enthusiasts...

kentrodngun

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054 & DitchWitch R40 Trencher/Backhoe
I also vote for gunk, a parts brush and a hose. I may be wrong but I always kept mine running while washing the grease and degreaser off.

Doc G

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200
Lots of good points. Also remember: there's pressure washing at 4 inches distance, and pressure washing at 4 feet distance. Choose carefully and err on the side of standing a bit further away until/unless you need to loosen up some really tough crud.

Tony H

Gold Member
Tractor
JCB MIDI CX
I wouldn't drive water onto the alternator and go easy by driveshaft and axle seals.

SylvainG

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti LK30
Those that degrease with pressure washing, aren't you concerned of the grease to contaminate the soil or even seep into your water well?