Washing an old tractor

/ Washing an old tractor #1  

SgtSluggo

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4105, Ford 1700
So, while this is not the most important item on my list of questions, it does seem to be one I am having a hard time answering.

Our new to us Ford 1700 is in a bit of rough shape cosmetically. On the list of things I would love to do is take off all the surface rust and re-paint it, but that is a project for another day. First, I just wanted to see about it being a bit cleaner. I am not sure it has ever been washed or even how well it was kept before it came to us. However, I am a little worried about hurting something trying to get it a bit cleaner. Is there really any damage I can do trying to give it a bath? Are there areas or parts that I am likely to cause problems with water, soap, or pressure?

Thanks for the help.

/ Washing an old tractor #2  
Be careful of the seat if you use a pressure washer. I put a small hole thru the vinyl on the one on my JD 4120 a couple years ago, with a 3200 psi pressure washer. A little dab of RTV took care of that but now I got a small black spot on the edge of the yellow seat.

I also finished off the mower belt on my JD LT-150 lawn tractor with it, but that was nearing the end of its service life anyhow.

/ Washing an old tractor #3  
I wash mine all the time with a pressure washer and have never had any problems, just do not focus a lot of high pressure on anything electrical or fuel related and you should be fine. After all tractors are left out in the weather all the time.

/ Washing an old tractor #4  
Go for it! Years ago, (30 yrs) I had a 1700. Great tractor! Wish I still had it.
I used to get a bottle of 'Gunk' and spray it all over the engine/ trans and let it soak in for a bit. Really greasy or dirty areas I would scrub with the degreaser.

Then hit it with the pressure washer, getting all the nooks and crannies cleaned out.

I was always careful around the electric stuff and around the top of the tranny where the shifters and access covers are at.

I always pressure wash my tractor and degrease it at the beginning of the season, then I can see if any leaks develop during use.

/ Washing an old tractor #5  
I like Gunk too for grease or oil. Warm up the engine just a little before applying.

/ Washing an old tractor #6  
I would prepare the tractor for washing. Any switches or electrical connections are best sprayed with silicone spray. Also, I would pre-spray the greasy parts with a degreaser. The Gunk mentioned should work. Also, reverse spray the radiator to knock out all the chaff and trash from the radiator core. I would wash it like a car then use the pressure washer to final rinse. After it is dry, I would go over moving parts with WD-40 or similar.

/ Washing an old tractor #8  
I'm real careful around the seat, radiator, and the dashboard. Those I do with a soft brush and hand rinse. No pressure at all.

A lot depends on how your pressure washer is set up. Our old 5 HP Home Depot washer only had two settings - it was either trigger off, or full power spray.
The spray tip on our newer Craftsman power washer has a dozen click adjustments from a medium/mild spray on up to a couple of settings they say work good for removing paint.

/ Washing an old tractor #9  
Just went through that same ordeal last month. I used undiluted Simple
Green ProHD Heavy-duty cleaner in a spray bottle and rags to clean it. Didn't want to use my pressure washer and get water in the bushings. May be that was over thinking it but didn't want to risk it. It might be a used tractor but it's new to me :)

/ Washing an old tractor #10  
GunK Engine Degreaser and pressure washer or just garden hose with squirt nozzle.... Not familiar with model but if its gas, try to keep distributor dry.... IF you get moisture in distributor cap, it not going to run very well if it starts at all, but you can remove cap and dry insides with Kleenex tissues....

Surprising enough, Simple Green works pretty well also...

Dale