Washing an old tractor

/ Washing an old tractor
Thanks for all the advice. I've got some Simple Green already, so maybe I'll start there with some low pressure water and see how far that gets me.

/ Washing an old tractor #12  
My 'go to' solution for greasy parts is foamy oven cleaners.*
Very caustic stuff but it sure removes grease.
Just rinse carefully afterwards to neutralize the caustic residue,
(Also great for carburetor cleaning)

*dollar store quality is just fine!

/ Washing an old tractor #14  
Just to reiterate, the purple SimpleGreen ProHD undiluted. Not the green bottle stuff.

/ Washing an old tractor #15  
GunK Engine Degreaser and pressure washer or just garden hose with squirt nozzle.... Not familiar with model but if its gas, try to keep distributor dry.... IF you get moisture in distributor cap, it not going to run very well if it starts at all, but you can remove cap and dry insides with Kleenex tissues....

Surprising enough, Simple Green works pretty well also...

Dale
Pull the distributor cap and spray it down with any penetrating oil that has a decent alcohol content. It eill evaporate any moisture and allow starting easily (assuming it started easily before).

/ Washing an old tractor #16  
Pull the distributor cap and spray it down with any penetrating oil that has a decent alcohol content. It eill evaporate any moisture and allow starting easily (assuming it started easily before).
Years ago a friend of mine used to have a "boat" repair shop next to a "U" SQUIRT car wash, he could have made a small fortune selling Kleenex tissues to stranded wash the engine enthusiasts...

/ Washing an old tractor #17  
I also vote for gunk, a parts brush and a hose. I may be wrong but I always kept mine running while washing the grease and degreaser off.

/ Washing an old tractor #18  
Lots of good points. Also remember: there's pressure washing at 4 inches distance, and pressure washing at 4 feet distance. Choose carefully and err on the side of standing a bit further away until/unless you need to loosen up some really tough crud.

/ Washing an old tractor #19  
I wouldn't drive water onto the alternator and go easy by driveshaft and axle seals.

/ Washing an old tractor #20  
Those that degrease with pressure washing, aren't you concerned of the grease to contaminate the soil or even seep into your water well?