Waste oil heater for my garage.

/ Waste oil heater for my garage.
I have ordered a piece of Mica glass for the door, I liked the idea also.

If you looked at the top of the air intake there is a washer that I use to reduce the air intake. Just yesterday I was thinking of putting a round piece of metal over the intake sort of like my smoker. It would have a swivel that allows me to move it over the hole. I still like the idea of a flue dampener. It did make more heat at a lower flame.

Thanks for the question.

/ Waste oil heater for my garage. #62  
So the oil flows down that center pipe onto the burner plate? Does it drip in there based on the valve setting or a constant light flow?

It drops in a drip at about half burn, full burn it flows in a thin stream. The valve controls the drip or streem. The drip line does go through the center of the center pipe.

…A busy week end. My wife had me install a storm door. Who would have thought that Anderson could make a simple project difficult and time consuming? It took most of the afternoon on Saturday.

Sunday was mine. I gathered up the remaining stuff that I thought I needed for the chimney. Yet still make half a dozen trips to the local home centers. I could not believe the simple items I needed are not at one store I had to go to both Home Depot and Lowe’s to complete the project. But it is done and I am happy it works.

The chimney drafts incredibly well, almost too well. It is 12 feet long and is about 1 foot taller than my ridge line. I also installed a dampener in the stack. Starting is not as simple as it was in the back yard. I have to let the oil heat up with the door open for about 10 minutes. I also have to restrict the air intake longer or the fire will blow out. After every thing is heated I can control the air intake with the flue dampener. I am going to make a variable cover for the intake tomorrow.

I ran for about 45 minutes. I got it pretty hot and the paint started to smoke and smell. I tried to do this out side but could not because the weather was too cold and the oil would not flow. It heated the shop pretty quickly but the temp outside was pretty warm today, 40 degrees.

I am eager to start tweaking it for my needs now that I have it functional inside.

Installed.jpg

/ Waste oil heater for my garage. #65  
Very well done! Looks good! Hope it puts out lots of cheap btu's for ya!!:D

Still don't know if ya can convert an old oil heater to burn waste oil.........has anybody tried this b4??

Thanks,

I am not finished yet. I am still waiting on a piece of glass that I ordered for the door. Last night I installed an intake damper and reconfigured my oil line. I needed another fitting and it was getting late so I did not finish. I stopped and picked up the fitting this morning and will finish tonight. Pics will follow.

/ Waste oil heater for my garage. #67  
When you said it took ten minutes with the door open to heat up, I was wondering if you are using kerosene for a faster heat up like Roger Sanders does?

My start up is first a couple of ounces of kerosene then start the oil drip. I then use a small propane torch to light the kerosene and oil. The problem was the draft pulling in air too fast. I could look down the air tube and have my wife shut the door and you could see the fire from the center of the pool go dead. After the burner and oil was hot then the pool would hold the flame with the door shut.

The new damper is in and is working great. Start up was easy. As far as running it I just open until it starts to go out then close when the center of the puddle is stabilized.
Here are the modifications.

newdamper.jpg

/ Waste oil heater for my garage. #70  
Looks good! I got my conical machined at work and I stopped at the local
plumber and got a free water heater. It took a little bit of time to get the
foam insulation off the tank. :D