Waste Oil

/ Waste Oil #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
I take my stuff to recycling location. They have a SINGLE oil collection drum. Probably holds 500 or more gallons.

I will have 30 weight oil for both my tractor and backhoe.
I will ALSO have 0-20 weight SYNTHETIC oil for both cars.

Any issues, from the perspective of the recycling location, to dump the synthetic and diesel oil in their big tank?

/ Waste Oil #2  
Mine goes to a shop in town who has a certified furnace for used oil.

/ Waste Oil #3  
no they don't care what type of oil goes in there... All mechanic shop have the same set up and they put all type of oil from differential to transmission to engine oil in the same drum, and some oil collector goes around and collect it from all shop and mix it all together... don't know what they do after that with it...

Last edited:
   / Waste Oil #4  
I use the waste oil to oil things and I will use
it on my wooden fence as paint will not stick
Paint will last maybe a year and then looks
bad. Put the waste oil in an oil can works
great in the shop when you want to oil a bolt
or what ever
I can remember back in the 50's guys at the
gas station had an eve trough and when some
one got a quart of oil they would put the oil can
upside down in the eve and the oil run into a
bottle and they didn't have to purchase oil for
their toys

willy

/ Waste Oil #5  
My local tractor dealer used to have a tank out front for used oil. They burned it in their waste oil heater in the shop. I took my old oil there for many years until ignorant folks started dumping anti freeze and other waste products. As a result, the tank was removed last year.

Now it's a pain for me to find a place that will take used oil. Here in PA, it's a state law that any business who sells new oil has to take used in return. It's a joke. In my county anyway, not one business will take it. They look at you like you have two heads when you ask.

Now, I see people dumping it on the ground.

/ Waste Oil #6  

Many years ago it was a common practice to put waste oil on gravel roads to keep the dust down. Trucks with spray bars would collect the oil from all the surrounding service stations/shops and oil down the county roads every year.

/ Waste Oil #7  
Now it's a pain for me to find a place that will take used oil. Here in PA, it's a state law that any business who sells new oil has to take used in return. It's a joke. In my county anyway, not one business will take it. They look at you like you have two heads when you ask.

Many years ago it was a common practice to put waste oil on gravel roads to keep the dust down. Trucks with spray bars would collect the oil from all the surrounding service stations/shops and oil down the county roads every year.
I've heard of that being done, but don't think I've ever actually seen it.
Most states have laws to the effect that if you sell oil you need to take used oil for recycle, but as you noted it doesn't always work that way in practice. I can't imagine anyone at Walmart, Rite Aid or Dollar General having any idea what to do with it. There's an O'Reillys/VIP about 20 mi. away that takes it with no problems...the town is the nearest retail center, so I'm there at least once a week anyway.
As Willly noted, I'll sometimes use old oil for lubing non-critical stuff, as an accellerant when starting a bonfire, etc. but that doesn't account for much. Tried using it as bar oil in a chainsaw many years ago, that didn't work out so well... :oops:

No idea where I'd get rid of old antifreeze. Where I used to live the town would have a hazardous waste day at the dump/transfer station once a year, but they don't seem to do that here. Fortunately, doesn't need to be changed that often so I'll just have a mechanic do it and let him worry about disposal.

/ Waste Oil #8  
Bring most of mine to the auto parts store or our county recycling center. I will usually save about a gallon or so for starting brush piles and stuff. I guess I see the merit in using it as a lube, but I always have little bits of leftovers in quart bottles so I normally use that.

/ Waste Oil #9  
I was surprised that one local auto repair shop has labelled their recycle tank as both oil and antifreeze allowed. I asked if that was really acceptable to the recycler, they said no problem.

/ Waste Oil #10  
OAKTREE, in order to use the waste oil in your
chain saw you have to heat the oil and add HONEY
in the can from wally world or where ever by heating
the oil you can mix in the HONEY and it works great
for chain saws that's been done for many a year and
no problems

willy