water drill

/ water drill #1  

the viking

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere 2320
I need to get a 1" conduit under my paved driveway without cutting it. I heard of people using a hose shoved into a pipe with a nozzle to water power drill the hole for the conduit. Anyone tried this method and have a how to?

/ water drill #2  
I`ve used the method where you connect the water supply to a tube and push the pipe through soil. It works but doesn`t like big stones.

/ water drill #3  
It depends a lot on they type soil you've got. You need to dig a hole deep enough on one side of the driveway to get beneath the concrete and compact gravel. It is helpful if this is a trench allowing your pipe to lay level so you're not angled down. On the other side you need a hole of similar depth for the pipe to appear. If using rigid conduit you can connect your water line directly to it to clear the path. Expect to have to apply some force to move it through the dirt. There are also companies which can push a rod under your driveway them pull it back with the conduit attached (for a fee).

/ water drill #4  
i have done this under a sidewalk, but it was only about 4 or 5 feet. it was still a bit of a pain, lots of rocks, just to pull the dsl and comcast lines under. how wide is your driveway?

/ water drill #6  
How wide is the driveway. Ive run pipes under walks up to 10 feet across, but not easy. I use a kit made by Borit. Under Ground Boring Kits

works pretty good unless there’s lots of rocks.

/ water drill #7  
I'd love to get a tube under my blacktop driveway, but with very, very tightly packed red rock gravel featuring baking potato sized rocks, I don't think it's an option.

/ water drill #8  
I placed 3” pvc at several points throughout my 300 driveway As it was built. Have used them for landscaping over the years.

/ water drill #9  
I placed 3” pvc at several points throughout my 300 driveway As it was built. Have used them for landscaping over the years.
We pushed a 30' x 2" steel pipe with jet on one end and hose connection on other end, under our drive. Used our hydrostat tractor to push & pull with. When reached other side, cut off water, held a 1-1/2" pvc pipe tight against leading end by 2 men, while pulling steel pipe back out with tractor. Worked good for us.

/ water drill #10  
We pushed a 30' x 2" steel pipe with jet on one end and hose connection on other end, under our drive. Used our hydrostat tractor to push & pull with. When reached other side, cut off water, held a 1-1/2" pvc pipe tight against leading end by 2 men, while pulling steel pipe back out with tractor. Worked good for us.

I’ve never attempted one that long but I’ve pushed pipes under footers and sidewalks. That’s the method I would here.