Water Filter Splits

/ Water Filter Splits #1  

Alan W.

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650 & Bobcat 763G & Craftsman DGS6500
IMG_7017.JPG

Yesterday after lunch I discovered that my water filter had split and was spraying into my basement. I had installed it in 98 when the house was built.
While I made a run to Lowes my son set up fans and used the shop vac to clean up.
This is on the unfinished side luckily.
Dont know if there is a lifespan on these or mine was a freak accident.
House is plumbed with CPVC and it is getting brittle. Could not cut it without it shattering with my cutter so I had to saw it carefully. Ran PEX from the inlet to the filter. Will eventually replace whole house with PEX.

/ Water Filter Splits #2  
I would say 26 years is a good run for anything made from plastic. I replace mine when the shutoff stops working, or gets hard to turn, probably in the 10 - 12 year range. Fortunately my plumbing is all copper and my filters are in the basement utility room which has a floor drain. So far no catastrophic failures. I see many of these installed under the kitchen sink. A failure there would be a disaster for my wood floors.

/ Water Filter Splits #3  
I have installed one of these under each sink in house. It already saved my butt when instahot unit failed in basement wetbar. I was alerted right away to something that i probably would not have noticed for days.

i also have sensors in freezers, refrigerator, wifes greenhouse and garden sheds that monitor temp and humidity. One alerted me to a door left open in garage freezer and saved a bunch of frozen meats.

/ Water Filter Splits
A few sensors would probably be a good idea.