Water fire extinguishers

/ Water fire extinguishers #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
I thought we had a big thread over water fire extinguishers and mounting/use on balers. Can't seem to find it if anyone remembers could you link it?

Or just post up your opinions and favorite set up ;)

/ Water fire extinguishers #2  
Maybe:

Bruce

/ Water fire extinguishers
Maybe:

Bruce
The search-fu is strong with this one.

Thanks!

/ Water fire extinguishers #4  
I don't bale any hay. But I use Amerex 2.5 gal water fire extinguishers a lot. Always nearby when doing chain saw work or tending burn piles. Two suggestions:

1. pay close attention to the pressure gauge (mine are optimal at 100psi). I've found they can slowly leak down in pressure over time.

2. When you refill with water and pressurize, do a quick test by pulling the trigger to make sure water comes out before you put it back in service. One time, at a burn pile, I pulled the trigger and nothing happened even though it was full and pressurized. So I always check each one after refill.

/ Water fire extinguishers #5  
I bought one new a couple of years ago : Amerex B240 2.5 Gallon Water Pressure Fire Extinguisher ($135 w/ free shipping). Trivial to set up.

Caveat: I had a good chance to use it earlier this spring when my neighbor set the meadow on fire but the extinguisher was in my shop waiting to be attached to the tractor somehow >.< however my bucket did a great job of scraping a fire break :)
Extinguishers only work if you've got them when you need them!

Thread hijack: Anyone attach one of these to a tractor without buying a mounting bracket? ($50 seems a bit steep)

/ Water fire extinguishers #6  
Small tip with water type extinguisher. Index finger slightly over the edge of the nozzle while spraying gives a fan pattern as opposed to the solid stream.

“PASS” technique

P ull the pin
A im the nozzle at the base of the fire
S queeze the trigger
S weep the nozzle back and forth

Mike

/ Water fire extinguishers #7  
Pro tip:

Make sure it has water and not oil in it. LOL

My buddy had an old one he filled with used oil to spray the conveyor chain on his sand/salt spreaders in the off season. A welder he was renting one of his shop bays to had a small fire from welding and grabbed it. It wasn't pretty but they did get the fire out without the FD and burning the shop down.
It was spray painted orange after that.

/ Water fire extinguishers #8  
After you fill it with water add about a cup of dish soap. The surfactants in the soap will let the water go deeper into the seat of the fire. "Wet water"

/ Water fire extinguishers #9  
I have the element fire extinguishers in my truck and my wife's car. Never actually tried them but they are small and can fit between the drivers door and seat. Easy access.

The past few years around the holidays they offer a discount code.

/ Water fire extinguishers #10  
I have them on all tractors and balers.
Hope I never need them.
Came real close this June on a brand new round baler. Started hearing a squealing noise. Luckily had back window open and smelled burning.
Sure enough, the baler came with a defective bearing, which rapidly self destructed. It did not catch fire though.
If you can believe this: it happened again on a belt roller bearing in August. Dealer is dumbfounded on how this could happen on a brand new baler.
But it did…..

1634036207333.jpeg