Water from a flexible gas line? Help me find a water leak.

/ Water from a flexible gas line? Help me find a water leak. #11  
How old is the WH ? Don't be too quick to condemn the WH. Don't know if your WH is the same ,but if it has the plastic drain cock ,check it. I have seen the plastic drain cocks split at the threads and it will appear as if the tank is leaking. Another thing to check is condensation forming on the tank in the burner area. As cold water enters at the bottom of the tank causing the burner to fire. AS the fire is on the bottom of the cold steel tank it will (at times) form a lot of condensation, appearing as the tank is defective

/ Water from a flexible gas line? Help me find a water leak. #12  
so this is where things get interesting as we just went through a 30K kitchen remodel due to a failed hot water heater. The heater was newer. The reason for the failure was attributed to our water. Chlorine along with something else eats the liner in these tanks and they are now being made thinner to save money. Its a whole ugly mess according to our insurance adjustor.

/ Water from a flexible gas line? Help me find a water leak. #13  
so this is where things get interesting as we just went through a 30K kitchen remodel due to a failed hot water heater. The heater was newer. The reason for the failure was attributed to our water. Chlorine along with something else eats the liner in these tanks and they are now being made thinner to save money. Its a whole ugly mess according to our insurance adjustor.

Good reason to make sure your tank's anode is in good shape. Any place that damage can occur from a ruptured/ leaking WH. The WH should be installed in a pan with a min. 1'' drain to the outside

/ Water from a flexible gas line? Help me find a water leak. #15  
I'm thinking condensation. Gas lines are under pressure till the very end when the pressure is lowed for use in a appliance. This cools the gas and moisture in the air condenses on the pipe. It could happen on the water pipes as well.

Propane fired water heaters also produce condensate.

Troubleshooting Water Heater Condensation

Pressure relief valves can also leak.

Try a mirror to look under and behind.

Is this area heated?

FYI, LP/propane regulators are at the supply tank not at point of use.

/ Water from a flexible gas line? Help me find a water leak. #16  
dang if your waters so bad it took out the tank in 5 years you may want to add a water conditioner to your arsenal.
You may also have to buy one of the topshelf glass lined WH's

I'm getting the same pesky drip but its my pressure tank leaking at the fitting , its not bad enough that i'm ready to pull it apart.

/ Water from a flexible gas line? Help me find a water leak. #17  

Dan, I think the process is that pressure tank and supply line condensation drips/oozes onto the cement blocks/concrete. That leaches minerals out of those and when it dries, you see the white colored residue. Well water is usually cold enough to easily cause condensation on the surfaces of the pipes and tanks holding it, in the summer especially when the air is warmer and more humid.

If you have efflorescence from the concrete block then condensation could be the cause of the minerals you are seeing. Our well water has quite a bit of minerals and a leak that dried would eventually leave behind the minerals some of which are black, some is white and maybe yellow/orange.

Later,
Dan

/ Water from a flexible gas line? Help me find a water leak. #18  
FYI, LP/propane regulators are at the supply tank not at point of use.

That depends on the supply pressure from the regulator at the tank. If your tank reg.(at the tank) is supplying 5-10 psi then, you need another reg. at the appliance (or somewhere ) to reduce from those higher pressures to 11 in wc All areas may not offer these higher supply pressures. but, they do here