Water Heater Help Needed,,, It Has Air In It After A While

/ Water Heater Help Needed,,, It Has Air In It After A While #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
We live with a well for water, cut in pressure 30 psi, cut out around 50
The well cycles as it always does, on at 30, off at 50,, when no water is being used, it stays at the same pressure.
We have a water softener
We have a rather large bladder tank, the cycle time to fill the tank is about usual.

We have a 50 gallon electric water heater , the water set temperature is about 125F

For the last week, when you turn on the hot water, you get a blast of air.
My wife believes it is only the hot water,

I have only seen it happen once, when I turned on the shower, which was hot only, to get warm water to the shower.

I checked both elements after no water had been used for ~15 minutes. Neither element was drawing power.
I ran about 5 gallons of hot water, the lower element came on.

The hot water is not a higher temperature than normal, as i always set the water mix for the shower at the same location

The elements in the water heater are 20 years old, original to the water heater. We do not get lime buildup on the elements, because of the water softener.

What could be causing air in the water system??

/ Water Heater Help Needed,,, It Has Air In It After A While #2  
It could be that it's not air but another gas that's forming because of either a chemical or biologic process. Bacteria could produce carbon dioxide, electrolysis could produce hydrogen.

Have you ever replaced your anode rod? After 20 years it could be gone and your tank could be starting to rust. Of course, after 20 years it may not be replaceable and you might have to start thinking about a new tank.

/ Water Heater Help Needed,,, It Has Air In It After A While #3  
I’m on well water with a bladder tank and water softener, but I have an on-demand water heater.

Occasionally (not all the time) when I start the shower in the morning (in a second floor bathroom), I’ll get a very quick shot of air. Not extremely noticeable, but I can hear it.

I always have assumed that somehow a little air was getting in the system from either other faucets, toilets, etc. my shower cartridge also needs replacing (occasional slow drips when off), so that might also be the cause.

Do you hear air coming from different faucets, or just one?

/ Water Heater Help Needed,,, It Has Air In It After A While #4  
We live with a well for water, cut in pressure 30 psi, cut out around 50
The well cycles as it always does, on at 30, off at 50,, when no water is being used, it stays at the same pressure.
We have a water softener
We have a rather large bladder tank, the cycle time to fill the tank is about usual.

What could be causing air in the water system??
excess air in the tank. Is it a bladder or air volume control setup?

/ Water Heater Help Needed,,, It Has Air In It After A While
The air comes from all hot water faucets, of which we have six faucets.
This has only been noticeable for a week or so.

We have been in the house over 40 years, and this type air (or gas) has never happened.

I think today I will try changing the water heater elements, my daughter keeps replacements at her house because she gets LOTS of lime buildup which makes the element life short.

I have also ordered a new anode, I am going to try the electrical anode.

Heck, I think a LOT of my water system is running on borrowed time,
The water heater is 17 years old (I was wrong about the 20 years earlier)
The well was drilled in ~1978, the pump was struck by lightning in 1984 and was replaced,,
So, the well pump is 40 years old.

The guy said that sometimes wells only last 40-50 years,, so a new well MIGHT be required some day

Lots of people say 10 years is a long life for a well pump, I am at 40 years,,,

I think one of the reasons the pump is lasting so long is that right after the new pump was installed, I decided to replace the bladder tank. I bought a HUGE tank, relatively speaking. The one installed now is about triple the normal size tank for a house my size. The draw down" is so many gallons, our normal life might only start the pump 3-5 times a day. The pump guy told me that the hardest thing on a pump is the start,, the big bladder tank reduces the number of pump starts.

/ Water Heater Help Needed,,, It Has Air In It After A While
excess air in the tank. Is it a bladder or air volume control setup?

It is a bladder tank, I check the pressure about every 6 months, it stays at ~27-28 pounds, which should be correct for our 30 psi turn on switch.

/ Water Heater Help Needed,,, It Has Air In It After A While #7  
Sounds like you are due for a new hot water tank. They are not forever.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Water Heater Help Needed,,, It Has Air In It After A While #8  
Hold a match to the “hot air” escaping from the faucets Before you start replacing things.

/ Water Heater Help Needed,,, It Has Air In It After A While #9  
I would also consider the possibility that you have an air leak in the piping to the pump or on the pump intake, including a low water table at the well. A trace of air would accumulate in the hot water tank, but be less noticeable on the cold side.

My bet though would be on a water heater element, or perhaps a ground rod.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter

/ Water Heater Help Needed,,, It Has Air In It After A While #10  
Are you over pumping your well? If your well is only capable of delivering say 10 gallons per minute (GPM) and you allow it to pump unrestricted it may try to pump 11+ GPM. When the well cannot keep up, the casing starts to run low and you pick up air along with the water.