Water Hydro Project

/ Water Hydro Project #11  
I could be wrong but I think your chances of putting any power generation equipment in a navigable river are less than zero -- JMHO :eek:. Technically you don't have any riparian rights and therefore cannot even put in a dock without permission of the Crown. I looked into power generation on my place where I own the riverbed and it is not navigable and still would have had to go through an extensive approval process. It is not something you can sort of hide from the authorities and say whoops later. Check with the the local river authority -- hope I am wrong.
Regards

/ Water Hydro Project #12  
On on essentially flat river(navigable is the key), there is no energy to harvest. To have harvestable energy, you need elevation change or velocity change, which you don't have, unless you put in a dam(or are at a waterfall).

If you look at the water level over even a long stretch(say 1 mile), I'll bet the elevation difference is <1".

A better choice to lower energy costs would be to use the river water as an energy sink for a heat pump. Even better would be to use ground water(which ought to be available close to the surface) as the heat sink, disposing of it to the river.

Good Luck
Chris

/ Water Hydro Project #13  
Ok,

Just to make sure I didn't speak out of turn, could you tell me what the normal velocity (speed) of the water is? I would like to estimate what energy is available by just dropping an anchored turbine in the water.

Alternatively, do you know the width and depth of the water(so I can calculate the water velocity from your rates).

Good Luck.
Chris

/ Water Hydro Project #14  
Free flowing stream with about 8 to 10 km/hour velocity has energy density about 1.5 kW/sqmeter. Efficiency of free flow turbine is about 20%. Shrouded turbine with guide vanes etc can go up to 70%. The power is proportional to velocity cubed. In example if the river flows 4 kph the power generated will be one eights of the power generated at 8 kph.

/ Water Hydro Project
Thank you for your thoughts. I agree dealing with the coast guard is likely a significant issue, although I have been amazed that the other departments have not been impossible. I thought fisheries would be excessively difficult, I heard that they have taken on cottage owners who simply put sand on the ice so it falls to the lake bed - nicer to walk on than rocks or weeds.

I've used the example of the irrigation pumps along the river, there is a large intake, large hose going up the shore, usually electrical service pole, and commonly a small pump house; all on crown land. The intake is marked in the waterway and is taken out in the winter but there is no river traffic when it is frozen. I've sent the Coast Guard an email regarding the request but not have heard back.

I've been trying to track down any smaller versions of the kaplan turbine. Still looking.

The slope on the river is small but does exist. I believe on google earth I think there is a slope of 30 feet over 20 miles.

The ice is just off the river so I will try to figure out the current speed. I would guess 10 kph. I know a friend tried to fish off our shore last year but was not able because of the strength of the current - not a very good test.

My gut feel is that I will struggle having gear on the surface although there a significant number of docks along the river - they would be considered temporary structures - most often floating docks.

Maybe the green energy movement is changing political policy.

Again thank you.

Garth

/ Water Hydro Project #16  
I wonder if a system could be mounted to the bottom of a floating dock. That would eliminate navigation issues I would think.

Interesting concept. Hope you will let us know how it works out.

MarkV

/ Water Hydro Project #17  
If I am not mistaken your part of country is quite windy. Isn't it category 4? Category 4 is 22 kph average wind speed. Since the power produced is proportional to wind speed cubed cat 4 makes wind turbine viable alternative.
10 kW wind turbine on 50 m tall tower will produce about 20000 kWh of power/year at installed cost of about 35000 USD. You will break even in about 10 years provided that you live in cat 4 wind area. The turbines are designed to live about 25 to 30 years. Go to Bergey Windpower Co., the world's leading supplier of small wind turbines for more info.

/ Water Hydro Project #18  
I have looked into Micro Hydro a little bit. I am on the low flow / high head end. Have seen the type you are looking for though. Try ABS Alaskan, they have a encased propeller type thing for around $ 1,200.00 or a verticle axis kit for $ 30 - 50K. Alternative & Renewable Energy - ABS Alaskan

Good luck, sounds like fun other than the red tape.