Water Well pump removal ideas

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #1  

Furu

Veteran Member
Tractor
I have a pump and drop pipe in a well that I want to pull. Of course I could hire it out and may have to. There are several reasons and one huge reason (unstated) that I want to avoid that approach.
I have in the past lifted the pump and drop pipe a little (a couple of ft or so) for routine mx at the well head.
This time I want to pull it entirely.

There is no safety cable attached to the pump.
The drop pipe is 2 inch threaded Schedule 120 PVC 1120 pipe.
The pump is a 3 phase 460/480 volt motor on a 50 gpm pump.
Guessing on the weight of the motor and pump but maybe 30-40 lbs or so
The 280 ft drop pipe - a little over 300 lbs plus 14 brass couplings at a pound or so
Weight of water in pipe since there are check valves is in the ballpark of 380 lbs
Bottom line I am not going to hand pull 700 to 750 lbs of drop pipe from this well.

With the drill casing being about 2 ft above grade I figure each lift will be about 24 ft to the next coupling.

A tripod that is 24-26 ft tall or a boom of some nature (2 beam) are ideas I have but managing the lift of the structure into position for the tripod or the boom have issues of concern. However the biggest concern, not being a structural engineer, is stoutness of the structure. I don't need it to collapse under the weight and injure a human nor do I need it to drop pipe and pumps in the well. I also don't want to over engineer it so that the weight of the structure makes the lift of the structure impossible either.

Any ideas would be appreciated on a lifting design for this.
2800b2d9e53edfa18df20e41d4285f5a.png

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #2  
The well service people have trucks with booms set up to do this quickly, efficiently, and safely. And the charge to just pull a pump isn’t terrible. Why are you wanting to invent something where there’s an easy solution?

/ Water Well pump removal ideas
The well service people have trucks with booms set up to do this quickly, efficiently, and safely. And the charge to just pull a pump isn’t terrible. Why are you wanting to invent something where there’s an easy solution?
First and Second sentence address that. Don't know the cost in your area but here it is not cheap at all.

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #4  
First and Second sentence address that. Don't know the cost in your area but here it is not cheap at all.
I had my 700’ deep well pipe and pump replaced a few years ago. Most of the cost was for the new pump and the pulling of pump/pipe was only about five hundred dollars. If you drop the pump and pipe down the shaft, you’ll discover how expensive this can be.

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #5  
I've used a telehandler before, took two people though. You need a threaded lifting adapter so you can lift the pipe and a piece of slotted steel plate to hold the sections up at the coupler while you disconnect them and re-rig your lift. I've heard of well pump pullers similar to a tripod setup that you can rent but I've never actually seen one.

I've used a telehandler before, took two people though. You need a threaded lifting adapter so you can lift the pipe and a piece of slotted steel plate to hold the sections up at the coupler while you disconnect them and re-rig your lift. I've heard of well pump pullers similar to a tripod setup that you can rent but I've never actually seen one.
The telehandler is an idea I had not thought of, but I do not know what the capabilities of them are and if they sway enough that it might create an issue of the drop pipe hitting (not bumping but hitting) the casing as it is lifted. I have the other items that you mention from previous jobs.

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #7  
You could set up scaffolding. A single buck stacked above the pipe length might work well. Walk boards on either side and pull pipe between them. They handle that amount of weight. Just throwing it out there.

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #8  
A few months ago I paid $2150 to replace my 1hp pump, set at 200'. Money well spent.... The last time I pulled a pump I was 35, at 60 it's a no go for me. $2150 included a new pressure tank and pressure switch.

If you do it yourself, make sure you have plenty of help. I've seen people do this with a FEL, many, many 8' lifts.

/ Water Well pump removal ideas #9  
a tripod may work, I would add several braces across the legs on 2 sides and think about what happens when it falls on its side, or make it well anchored or guyed out. make sure to have room for the pully and hook at the top. If you are in a place with oil wells, you can usually get 2 7/8 pipe surplus pretty cheap in 30 foot lengths. your top shive is your most likely failure point. a proper lifting shive will probably cost you a few hundred. no open hooks on anything, only cast and rated eyes from good sources, etc. remember that the hook on the pully is supporting twice the load of the line. so you want a pully that is rated well more than twice the weight you expect to pull.
i bet that pump weighs double what you think.
we call your slotted plate a C plate.
what are you using to power this, a winch on a truck or something?

13 years in the oil industry, crane training to 60 ton, rigging certificates in Australia and USA and have run 1000s or 10s of 1000s of miles of steel cable in and out of oil wells all over the earth with hydraulic winches.

scaffolding is not a terrible idea. don't skimp on your lifting hardware, get real stuff that is rated, not whatever is hanging at ace or home depot. their cable clamps and all that stuff are total junk and not sized correctly.

I can imagine some reasons that i also have for not having someone else do the work, but maybe find a sketch contractor that will not tell anyone. haha. its going to cost more to build this proper than it will cost to have someone else do it, though you will have a rig then as well.

I have available a hydraulic winch 20K, three different electric winches 8K, 12K, 16K, and a small 13.5K PTO logging winch . Not certain which I think is the best choice but will be using a safety backup in any case. As to weight, I want it to handle at least 3K which is double the max strain I expect. Of course that is not shock load strain but I better not have that or I have screwed up big time by then. Oil field pipe would be nice, but not around here. I have thought of using 3 inch sched 40 steel pipe (which I have) or maybe 2 inch pipe , or 2x2x0.25 square tube; probably way over strength but concerned about under engineering it thus this post for ideas.
When is cost not a concern?? however I have had a real problem with the drill/pump companies in this area and their ethics.