Water

/ Water #21  
100,000 gallons is literally a drop in the bucket. Practical desalination needs to produce 100,000,000 gallons a day.
The desal plant in San Diego (actually Carlsbad a couple of miles north) produces 54,000,000 gallons per day. Enough for 400,000 people. It’s doable.

/ Water #22  
Maybe TMI, but that's how we were brought up as kids. I know people today with dug wells that still do this.
To my knowledge, we don't have many dug wells, if any at all, around here. I recall my grandparents had a cistern at their farm house, but no indoor plumbing. We have a drilled well, drilled in the early 70's when our home was built in what was then a very rural area, and it has been more than adequate for our needs.

/ Water #23  
To my knowledge, we don't have many dug wells, if any at all, around here. I recall my grandparents had a cistern at their farm house, but no indoor plumbing. We have a drilled well, drilled in the early 70's when our home was built in what was then a very rural area, and it has been more than adequate for our needs.
I have seen some dug wells in my area, they usually have a large concrete pipe, 24-36" in diameter, sticking well above grade, and are at homes that were built a long time ago. I can think of four real quick, but one was filled in when the house was torn town. I don't know if it is legal to have a dug well anymore, all of the "recent" wells are drilled.

We did think about putting in a cistern, along with the well, when we built the house but could not justify the cost of the cistern.

Later,
Dan

/ Water #24  
But that hasn’t happened. And the world isn’t going to end in 9 years, either.
10’ above sea level is more at risk for bad storms than claimed rising sea levels.
Sea levels can drop, too.
With glaciers melting in Greenland and Alaska, see levels aren’t going to go down.

/ Water #25  
I ran across this article this morning. Why was it not headlines in every coastal newspaper in the US? Desalination may become the default fresh water source on coastlines.

California was refusing to allow it because according to some idiots there the salinity would remain local and be a problem for some sea life. This is a phenomenon not observed at any desalination plant so far. there is a study out of Kuwait on long-term salinity made near outfall of Az Zour Power and Desalination Plant in South Kuwait. They found the local salinity was increased but were only able to use words like "may," "might," and "could" to discuss any possible negative sea life impact. So they didn't actually see any harm.
Normally the salt is around 35 - 37 PPT the straight, but the hyper-local salinity right at the mouth of the outfall was 50 ppt.
Salinity is not constant in the oceans, there is an oval of 37+PPT The Mediterranean, Baltic sea, and black sea are very high also.

/ Water #28  
I have seen some dug wells in my area, they usually have a large concrete pipe, 24-36" in diameter, sticking well above grade, and are at homes that were built a long time ago. I can think of four real quick, but one was filled in when the house was torn town. I don't know if it is legal to have a dug well anymore, all of the "recent" wells are drilled.

We did think about putting in a cistern, along with the well, when we built the house but could not justify the cost of the cistern.

Later,
Dan
They are still fairly common here. My mother's well was probably dug by my grandfather when he built the house in 1927 and is 10x12 feet, poured concrete walls with about 8 feet of water to where it runs out the overflow. I have never seen it go down below that, and they used to feed two houses plus keep 1/4 acre of greenhouses watered from it. When I was in HS we pumped it out, bleached it, and put crushed stone in the bottom
The problem is purity... it got more and more difficult to pass a water test so she has an in house UV water purifier in back of a pretty good sized filter.

/ Water #29  
I keep reading about sea levels rising to the point where coastal communities may be flooded.
And you will continue seeing articles about it until hell freezes over and the Sun goes supernova.
What those idiots don't (or won't) understand is that this wonderful absolutely delightful goldilocks period of geologic time that so favors humans and small mammals is just a small tick in the larger scheme of things.
The oceans have flooded the great plains many times, Great Glaciers churned their way across the planet, there were dinosaurs and then there weren't. And now there is a climate that favors humans. It's not going to last. Nothing does, the planet is dynamic, and there is no correct climate. We occupy maybe 10% of the planet and we think we can turn climate on and off like a light switch? How unbelievably arrogant and stupid.

/ Water #30  
And you will continue seeing articles about it until hell freezes over and the Sun goes supernova.
What those idiots don't (or won't) understand is that this wonderful absolutely delightful goldilocks period of geologic time that so favors humans and small mammals is just a small tick in the larger scheme of things.
The oceans have flooded the great plains many times, Great Glaciers churned their way across the planet, there were dinosaurs and then there weren't. And now there is a climate that favors humans. It's not going to last. Nothing does, the planet is dynamic, and there is no correct climate. We occupy maybe 10% of the planet and we think we can turn climate on and off like a light switch? How unbelievably arrogant and stupid.
Then the dogs will take over earth…. Or so my lab hopes. They cant screw it up any more than we have.

5C7338BF-00E0-49EF-91D3-0610D31A754F.jpeg