Chipper WC-6 PTO Chipper arrived

/ WC-6 PTO Chipper arrived #1  

fastpat

Silver Member
I picked it up yesterday and my brother and I spent the next 5 hours assembling it. Here's the pics so far.

In the freight terminal. The supervisor got on the forklift and set it in my pickup. Picking up the unit from the terminal saved me nearly $200.00 shipping charges over delivering it here. Cost me an hour's time.
WC6_chipper008-vi.jpg

The chipper was bolted to an iron shipping frame which was banded to a wooden pallet.
WC6_chipper009-vi.jpg

The PTO driveshaft is in the corrugated board box.
WC6_chipper011-vi.jpg

After arriving home, we pulled the pallet onto the lift gate on the pickup (wonderful things those are), lowered to the ground and pulled it off that; pulling courtesy of my tractor.
WC6_chipper014-vi.jpg

We unbolted the iron shipping frame to enable taking all the component pieces out from around the chipper, and so we could hoist it up in the air.
WC6_chipper017-vi.jpg

The chipper has to be elevated up to enable attaching the base which is made up of four steel plates, cut and bent to shape. Note that the hoisting is done via a lift point on the chipper into which I've inserted a hardened steel locking pin of about 3/4 inch diameter. The lift strap is a 3333 lbs. capacity tie down strap.
WC6_chipper018-vi.jpg

WC6_chipper019-vi.jpg

Here we have the chipper sitting on its newly assembled base, with just a few odds and ends left to intall. Items such as the discharge chute, the input chute extension, and so forth.
WC6_chipper020-vi.jpg

More pictures of the machine in use later.

/ WC-6 PTO Chipper arrived #2  
I picked my chipper up today. Any advice or warnings when assembling this unit?

/ WC-6 PTO Chipper arrived #3  
Wow, that is nice. That is without a doubt on my list of trinkets for my tractor. Fortunately my wife is on the same page with that purchase. You did the right thing picking it up at the terminal. Freight companies are not the greatest with you stuff and the sooner you get it off the dock the better. The chance of things getting hit with a High/Low go up with every day it kicks around. Nice they sent you all the stock to build stuff with too

/ WC-6 PTO Chipper arrived
Airmale said:
I picked my chipper up today. Any advice or warnings when assembling this unit?
Since I was an aircraft mechanic for more than 8 years and work on cars as a hobby; I'm probably more able to do these sorts of things than many folks might be. If you're mechanically inclined, you shouldn't have much trouble since it's pretty basic stuff. Have a fairly complete set of metric sockets and box and open end wrenches nearby, as well as a few drill bits to square up a few holes. Since some of the holes were, as I pointed out, torch "drilled", each chipper is slightly different as to how it fits together in some spots.

The assembly instructions are essentially non-existent. They basically say "put it together carefully", and that's it. An example wouid be the four slightly longer 10mm(or are they 12mm, I forget) bolts that go through both the base plate stock and the arms to which the lower three point pins attach aren't mentioned as being necessary, yet they are. Each of the four sides of the base are different, so there's no doubt where they go, and you'll see the answer eventually.

The belt tension on the feed roller wasn't tight enough on my machine, so I had to remove the housing that surrounds that and put the proper tension on that. Not difficult, just time consuming.

Feel free to post any specific question you might have.

Some pictures of the WC-6 in use.

WC6_chipper001-vi.jpg

WC6_chipper002-vi.jpg

WC6_chipper004-vi.jpg

In this photo I'm chipping up some dried pines I cut down last spring, and letting the chipper lay down the results as mulch at the same time. I have a little erosion problem on that bank, so hope the mulch will help.
WC6_chipper005-vi.jpg

/ WC-6 PTO Chipper arrived #6  
Now that you have the chipper and used it what is your honest assessment of it?? Worth the money?? Built ok?? Ease of use?? Does what is stated in the sales pitch?

/ WC-6 PTO Chipper arrived #7  
Where did you purchase it? Purchase price?

/ WC-6 PTO Chipper arrived #8  
I love the one I got from ebay. $1730 delivered w/extra blades & anvil. It is a monster that eats everything. The only thing that slows it down is long lengths of oak that are 6" diameter. As for 6" pine, like butter. I run mine behind a Kubota 3430....your resuts may differ. Nothing can compare at this price. Plus don't forget the mechanical feed.....works nicely! Hope this helps.

/ WC-6 PTO Chipper arrived #9  
Please post a pix of the PTO shaft from the chipper to the tractor. what is the purpose of the four black steel sides of the box? Are they merely a stand? How does the forward/backward lever work?

Renting a commercial grade Vermeer 6" chipper costs about $125 per day in my area plus the cost of two 30 mile round trips and the time it takes to do those two round trips. 120 miles is $18 in gas and the cost of gas for the chipper. If a model like this only costs $1700, then it might be worth it to buy one instead of renting.

I would go the same route and pick up at a freight terminal and have a set of pallet forks for my tractor to unload.

gordon21 said:
Please post a pix of the PTO shaft from the chipper to the tractor. what is the purpose of the four black steel sides of the box? Are they merely a stand? How does the forward/backward lever work?

Renting a commercial grade Vermeer 6" chipper costs about $125 per day in my area plus the cost of two 30 mile round trips and the time it takes to do those two round trips. 120 miles is $18 in gas and the cost of gas for the chipper. If a model like this only costs $1700, then it might be worth it to buy one instead of renting.

I would go the same route and pick up at a freight terminal and have a set of pallet forks for my tractor to unload.
There is no "forward/backward lever", there is a lever that stops the feed roller, actually it disengages the power to the roller. This is to prevent burning out the belt that drives the feed roller in case of a jam.

I don't have a photo of the drive shaft, but could take one. Is there some information you need? It's pretty conventional, much like the one on my post hole digger, only really short. It's horizontal when the chipper is sitting on the ground, and at a slight angle to the left which is partially due to the fact that I didn't make the lower three point arms exactly the same length. I wouldn't operate the chipper unless it's sitting on the ground, or no more than an inch or two elevation, it's intended to operate while most of it's weight is on the ground.

The black "box" is the base, whose purpose is to rest the chipper. the chipper is not for rough terrain, it should be close to level when operated.

My cost was $1520.00 delivered to the freight terminal.

One last thing, this is not a Jinma wood chipper. While it's very similar, it's may differ in several areas.