WD9, good for a project?

/ WD9, good for a project? #1  

Ortimber

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere
Hello,

I came across a very nice WD9 that, with a little TLC and paint would be a very nice tractor. I’ve been looking for something like this to restore.

Generally, were the WD series tractors good machines? Any fatal flaws that I should be aware of?

This tractor will not be used for any real work, just something to tinker with. Thanks!

/ WD9, good for a project? #2  
I have a 650D, a close cousin of WD9. They look very similar and share the engine from what I have heard. It was a workhorse for us when we were building our house back in 93-95. Mine does not have any brakes and the clutch is stuck engaged right now. I have not started it in years, always thought I would keep it going, but life got busy with family and work. If you understand that they start on gas and then switch to diesel and how to "help" it if needed, might be a fun project. We ran TD14 crawlers on the farm, they have same starting system. I started the TD14 many times with the crank on a cold morning.

/ WD9, good for a project?
Thanks hawkeye. We also had a few TD dozers when I was a kid, so the gas to diesel starting situation is something I'm familiar with. I anticipated that I would most likely look into older JD tractors to restore/play with but the old International machines are interesting as well.

I am curious as to what type of parts might be available. I can imagine that could be a problem...

/ WD9, good for a project? #4  
She's a good dependable power house, and they where actually one of the better starting cold weather diesels of their age.

/ WD9, good for a project? #5  
I spent many hour on the Kansas farm as a kid back in the 50's plowing with the WD9 Super Standard Diesel pulling a 5-16 or 4-16 moldboard. It was a bear in the field without power steering which was retrofitted later. The favorite part was finally lifting the plow out of the ground and out to the road then road gear home for lunch!

Thanks for the input guys.

I am going to take a look at it in the next couple of days. Current owner says it runs great, and pulls like a freight train.

I watched a few videos last night, and it’s a pretty good sized machine. Weighs somewhere around 6K. They sure sound good.

/ WD9, good for a project? #7  
Don't put gasoline in the diesel tank! I didn't do it, my brother did. :) Had to have the valves reground.

Don't put gasoline in the diesel tank! I didn't do it, my brother did. :) Had to have the valves reground.

That's a good tip!

/ WD9, good for a project? #9  

The last one that I ran was a TD-6 with a bad carb, so we kept a small Clorox bottle full of gas on it, time to start it pulled the air breather off gave it a little slug covered the pipe with your hand as a choke started cranking when she fired, drippled gas into her to keep it running for a minute or so then stopped the gas an waited a bit to throw the lever down for compression and diesel fuel and see if you had caught it right :thumbsup::cool2: