We Have a New Wood Burning Stove

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove #11  
Good Evenin Moss,
Very nice stove and congrats to you ! The only thing I would have done different would maybe to have ordered the brass trim ! :) That brass is really spiffy, although Im good at spending others money ! ;)

Good luck and enjoy, mine is burning as I type this its a bit nippy out ! :)

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove #12  
Moss -- that's the same brand I want -- but I want the 1150 ... as much cook top as room heater. I'd be real interested in how well it works for you. I heard the fan ain't worth the $$ -- too loud and doesn't move enough air. Better to put an old box fan on it.

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove #13  
Now the question is; Will Moss lose weight from all the cutting, splitting and carrying or will he gain weight from a build up of muscle mass?>:confused:

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove #14  
I predict he will build a PT-425 powered log splitter. :cool:

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove
Escavader,
Yes. The Stove stank "wicked" when I burned the first normal fire. Pew! And the new paint smoked a tad, which is good, because it tested most of the smoke alarms in the house, which is good, because that tells me which rooms will get the heat, too. :) After the 2nd normal fire, there was no more stink. :D

Dozernut,
I checked with my insurance company. They added me to the policy for $25.00 a year and I had to provide the paperwork from the installer. ;)

3RRL,
Never had one before, but helped my in-laws many times with their's over the last 20 years, so I know what I am getting myself in to. :)

Egon,
Yep, it has an ash pan built in to the pedestal. Pretty nice. Just brush the ashes into the little hole in the floor, pull and turn the lever underneath and they drop in. When you pull the ash pan out, it has a lid built into it, so you just flip it closed (slowly or you'll get dusted, according to the salesman) and carry it out to the garden to dump. Nice feature. :)

WayneB,
My floor joists run N-S, my ceiling joists run E-W, as do the roof rafters, so all they did was locate where the pipe comes up from the basement and shoot a nail straight up through the floor centered between two joists and the proper distance from the wall for the chimney support box to go. It sits between the floor joists. Then they plumb bobbed up to the ceiling and shot a nail up through to the attic, plumb bobbed up to the roof. Once they had that line, they adjusted until they could find a happy spot centered between all framing members. None had to be cut and we required no angles from floor to rooftop. Nice, straight 17' chimney. They used two 45s in the basement to get the stove away from the wall. I'll photo document everything before I frame in the chase for the chimney that went through the first floor. May be a few weeks. ;)

Mikim,
It directs the heat forward on its own more than upward. So I put a small fan on the floor and that sent some heat to the other half of the basement. Worked fine, so I will wait quite a while and experiment more before deciding on the factory blower. ;)

Egon again,
I will gain weight because I have to eat donuts while gathering firewood. :D

SnowRidge,
You know me too well. :) I would like to go the PT425 log splitter route, but my in-laws have a really nice splitter and they and my spouse would probably slap me silly if I spent any money on something the family already has. Most likely, I will go the hand splitting route... see my donuts comment to Egon above. :D:D

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove
Took the family out to the property to cut up some locust that we downed two years ago. The oldest daughter held them up with the forks on our PT425 while I cut them off in 16" pieces. We got about 3/4 cord in an hour. Loaded it on the trailer and took it home. Now its back and forth and back and forth and back and forth between the trailer and the wood storage area with my cart. I think I can fit about two weeks worth of wood in the basement stairs if we burn twice a day. I can also keep about two cords along the fence just outside the stairway entrance. I'll have to keep track to see just how much we use so I can plan better in the future.

Our first two fires went very well. I had some nice dry kindling to get it started and the locust logs were about 5-6 inch diameter. Three of those on a bed of coals lit up nicely and burned for about 6 hours. In the morning, there was very little ash and some hot coals which made a pile about 4" square and an inch tall.

Last night I was out of kindling wood. Good grief! :p I forgot all about a supply of that. Can't start a fire without it.

What do you folks do for kindling? I have access to lots of wooden skids that look like pine and oak. I was thinking about splitting those boards down to 1/2" or smaller pieces for kindling.

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove #19  
Sounds like a great Family outing, getting the wood in! Are you talking face cord or full cord in hour? Darn that is quick work if you are talking a full cord!

Glad the first fires were good for you.

I remember our first fires and all of the smoke in the house, smells from the stove metal, wife mad as heck, and then things got better as we used it more. Still enjoy the extremely hot room where the stove is located.

As for kindling we collect enough to start the fires in the fall, but once winter is here we never shut down the stove so all we have to do is load it and take the ashes out. Being a wood worker I always seem to have a bunch of kindling around in amongst the sawdust! Most of us collect the darn stuff and have cardboard boxes full of it.

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove #20  
We use the odd ends from the truss shop my inlaws own. Kiln dried yellow pine 2x6 and 2x4's. I usually split them in half or thirds. They work great.