We really are being spied on!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / We really are being spied on!!! #131  
"Masculine Replublics give way to feminine democracies and feminine democracies give way to tyranny" Aristotle @350BC

And especially true all these years later

/ We really are being spied on!!! #132  
IXLR8 said:

China has been doing this for years, it is coming here.
Been here for a long time. Also see Prism.

Here's Wikipedia's writeup on the SF ATT hub filter:
Related:
Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative Data Center,[1] is a data storage facility for the United States Intelligence Community designed to store data estimated to be on the order of exabytes or larger.[2] Its purpose is to support the Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative .... completed in May 2014 at a cost of $1.5 billion.[5]

The "massive data repository" is designed to cope with the large increase in digital data that has accompanied the rise of the global internet.[6]

Contents

Purpose​

The data center has the capability to process "all forms of communication, including the complete contents of private emails, cell phone calls, and Internet searches, as well as all types of personal data trails—parking receipts, travel itineraries, bookstore purchases, and other ..."one of the biggest misconceptions about NSA is that we are unlawfully listening in on, or reading emails of, U.S. citizens. This is simply not the case."[4]

In 2009, officials at the United States Department of Justice acknowledged that the NSA had engaged in large-scale overcollection of domestic communications in excess of the United States Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court's authority, but claimed that the acts were unintentional ...

Last edited:
   / We really are being spied on!!! #133  
"Masculine Replublics give way to feminine democracies and feminine democracies give way to tyranny" Aristotle @350BC

And especially true all these years later
And the lowest common denominator. That way, everyone is equal and the everyone is the same and then we can just go have a snack........

/ We really are being spied on!!! #134  
It seems people were more neighborly before social media, when we either spoke in person or minded our own biz.

Now people talk to their phone and send a text. I call 'em text holes if they won't call.

Hey if "it's not important" then text me later when I'm the one who's bored.

My digital dependence otherwise is using a remote to turn the radio on or off. Go ahead and hack it.

/ We really are being spied on!!! #135  
And the lowest common denominator. That way, everyone is equal and the everyone is the same and then we can just go have a snack........

And we all get trophies so no ones feelings are hurt.

MoKelly

/ We really are being spied on!!! #136  
Or now your tractors.

Why is it all the vehicle manufactures are now promising to be all electric within a decade now? Bad enough that current vehicle glitches enter into limp-mode or just power down like a brick.

With all the Tesla autonomous crashes and no ability to turn the vehicle off should it slam the pedal to the floor on it's own.

I watched a posted vid last month of a couple sitting in their parked EV on their smarty phones doing whatever. The EV was connected to the charging station. In moments the EV broke out in flames. The couple couldn't get out due to - - EV electric powered locks. No ability to unlock the doors manually. Thus, the monitoring camera only captured the event. With much smoke and fire, the other 3 vehicles were engulfed in the ordeal too.

Old school machines with limited computers will still run and function well.
Maybe why people are always asking if the ancient mercedes diesel 300 is for sale... many run on grease and no electronics to speak of?

/ We really are being spied on!!! #137  
It seems people were more neighborly before social media, when we either spoke in person or minded our own biz.

Now people talk to their phone and send a text. I call 'em text holes if they won't call.

Hey if "it's not important" then text me later when I'm the one who's bored.

My digital dependence otherwise is using a remote to turn the radio on or off. Go ahead and hack it.
Noticed when new folks move into the neighborhood they are the first to complain and add the authorities into the mix...

Just makes me want to ask out of all the places in the world why move here then?

/ We really are being spied on!!! #138  
Curious, I thought Law Enforcment can't unlock your phone and there were cases where Apple wouldn't help them. Guy gets detained by Police as he is filming Illegally parked cars in and around Police Station. They take his phone, but let him go. What are the laws about your phone and it's contents?

/ We really are being spied on!!! #139  
Curious, I thought Law Enforcment can't unlock your phone and there were cases where Apple wouldn't help them. Guy gets detained by Police as he is filming Illegally parked cars in and around Police Station. They take his phone, but let him go. What are the laws about your phone and it's contents?

This is my layman take on your question.

In general, law enforcement can get into your phone if they have a warrant. They (or someone they hire) can get into your phone without your password.

In some rare cases, the bad guy owner of the phone had a complicated access protocol. Not the run of the mill 4-6 digit password or finger print scan. They had protections no normal person could create.

In these extreme cases, the FBI asked Apple to help. Apple refused.

But, for you and me (unless you are a secret agent) it’s not all that hard for law enforcement to get into your phone. I also assume it’s not that difficult to get a warrant if they want one.

MoKelly

/ We really are being spied on!!! #140  
I have yet to find a way to completely deactivate the mic on my iphone and computer when I'm not specifically using it. I know this would stop me from saying "hey Siri..." and getting an answer, but that's a small price to pay. There is a spot in the "settings" that supposedly allows you to control various apps access to the microphone, but I'm not sure it stops the constant monitoring: for instance, there is no setting to adjust that will make the phone not respond to "hey Siri", so you know it's listening all the time anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.