We want to buy your land

/ We want to buy your land #21  
Been my observation with adjacent land owners who did it. When the loggers get done, looks like a Lunar landscape. I watched one plot, took almost 12 years for the slash to rot away and the entire time the land was not useable for anything. Not even walking on.

A couple of ex-neighbours here did deals with loggers to come in and strip their blocks of usable timber just before they sold. The result was land with low stumps all over! How does a new owner deal with those? Blast them? Try to burn them out? Hire a stump grinder for a month or so?

A friend of mine put in an offer on a nice rural block a couple of years ago. When he did a final inspection, he found the block had been raped by loggers - and promptly withdrew his offer. The owner thought he'd been hard done by...

What the land looks like after logging is up to the owner. The owner SHOULD be specifying in their timber contract how the logging operation will proceed. Too many people do not know anything about the timber business and get rip off. Some very smart people I know, who should have known better, got ripped off.

When we timbered our land I built trails, often using what the loggers created, through the land. The slash was hidden in a few years and rotted away. Before it rotted away it was good wildlife habitat. The trails allowed us to use the land will the trees grew back.

We could have had the logger do more clean up, but I figured he made money cutting trees, not doing land clearing per say. Figured if I wanted the mess cleaned up I would pay someone else. Course, I have a tractor, so I cleaned up what I wanted cleaned up.

If one wants the stumps removed, bulldozers and/or excavators will do it pretty quickly. They can pile up the slash and stumps which can be then be ground into chips or burned.

Our land was not messed up by the logging operation except in two places where they almost got stuck. Fixed that long ago. Our land was previously logged in the 30's is my guess. They did make a mess in that the tractors left deep ruts in a few places. They obviously logged when it was wet, mostly likely in the winter.

How the land is left after logging, is on the land owner, not the logger.

Later,
Dan

/ We want to buy your land #22  
How the land is left after logging, is on the land owner, not the logger.
Why I won't allow logging on our virgin hardwood land. I don't live there so I cannot 'manage' it everyday they are there. I take the hardwood forest habitat very seriously. IOW, stay off, no exceptions.

/ We want to buy your land #23  
There's only 49 acres of virgin forest in the lower peninsula of Michigan.

/ We want to buy your land #24  
There's only 49 acres of virgin forest in the lower peninsula of Michigan.
Sad but true. How many midwestern states can claim any better, I wonder?

I have a sliver of my property and the adjacent (preserved) parcel that appears to have had big, mature trees on the oldest aerial photo I could find (1940) so I know I have some 100+ yr old trees in that corner. They about 36-48" DBH. Sure hope they keep thriving. So not virgin forest, but about as good as it gets around here.

/ We want to buy your land #25  
Yep. There is very, very little virgin forest in Michigan and Indiana. Most of what we see that we think of as virgin forest is really 2nd growth forest. Almost all of the lower peninsula of Michigan was clear-cut in the 1800s. Similar in Indiana.

/ We want to buy your land #27  
My neighbor recently sold his field at about $89,000 an acre, no house, but it has a newish well.
Can't wait to see what kind of house they build at the back of the lot near my house.
oh well.

/ We want to buy your land #28  
It is interesting times.

Land in our area had been selling for between $10,000 - $12,000 an acre. For 20+ years always in that range.

Last September, a 15 acre lot was purchased for $25,000 an acre. The lot had been for sale for quite a while as, due its location, you cannot build a house. Most of the land is flooded in the Spring.

It’ll be interesting to see what the new owners plans are for the property.

MoKelly

/ We want to buy your land #29  
What the land looks like after logging is up to the owner. The owner SHOULD be specifying in their timber contract how the logging operation will proceed. Too many people do not know anything about the timber business and get rip off. Some very smart people I know, who should have known better, got ripped off.
You're dead right! In the cases I wrote about, it was pure greed on the part of the owners. Screw the place over for every buck possible, and the resulting mess is NMP. (Not my problem)

The second was a case of the owner not understanding that the offer he got was for the block "as is".

On the same theme, years back, a friend of mine's dad ran a vehicle wrecking company. This day a young fella hauled in a light truck (ute, we call 'em - short for utility vehicle, but pickup over your way) and got an offer for it. He then asked the boss if he could just remove the stereo first. "Sure, go ahead". Oh, and the winch on the front? "Sure". That done, back in the office the boss handed the young fella a tiny fraction of the initial offer, and the kid thought he'd been ripped off.