weather website or app?

Darryle

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere
Have any of y'all tried fieldview? It requires you to sign up and create an account, then outline your fields. It has been fairly accurate for me unless it was a long slow light rain, then I noticed it had the potential to under estimate the amount of rainfall.

Granted, this is summary type information, but it allows you to access the historical data.

Digital Farming decisions and insights to maximize every acre

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
I go to National Weather Service using the Chrome browser on my phone. I have a link for the 7 day forecast, one for the animated radar for my area, and one for the tropical forecast.

For some reason I have to get to the animated radar on my PC and email that link to myself to get the animation to work on my phone. After I have it bookmarked on my phone it works every time so that's only a one time setup.

Beeenvenue

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti 3510SE HST
RadarScope. It does require an annual subscription of like $5 (and there is a Pro version for a little more) but it is by far the best radar app out there. You will often see screenshots of it on any weather blog during severe weather As it is widely used by storm chasers (Reed Timmer, etc). It has tons of features including rainfall estimates, live warning overlays, mPing access, and more. As a rule I will not pay for apps - but I gladly pay for this one.

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Weather...you folks might find this interesting.

LightningMaps.org

Yep, I use them to check for lightning, and I use KYTV's (KY3) weather app. It is free and works very well both for radar (they have their own) and forecast. Of course it is all centered on springfield mo.

when I have any doubts of lightning moving in on me, I keep an eye on the lightning map when I play radio. I start unplugging things when within 25 miles. I can also "listen" for lightning on 6 meters (50 Mhz). If I can see lightning on the bandscope and hear it on 6 meters I know it is time to unplug. I have a directional antenna and I can even tell where it is. You can't tell anything about lightning from the lower HF bands as the lightning strikes can be propagated hundreds or even thousands of miles by the ionosphere, so you have no idea if it is close or not. But 6 meters will tell you as that will normally be groundwave and within 30 miles or so.

Diggin It

Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
400_kr_mp_Weather_rock.jpg

Jaeger

Silver Member
Tractor
'05 Kubota L5030 HST, '94 Kubota B7100 HST 4WD (sold 2011),
I've had great luck with the "Storm Radar" app on the iPhone.

The alerts are **** near 100% for time of the weather event plus lightning warning miles out.

I use the free version and may upgrade to the enhanced one without adds and a few more gizmos.