Weber Hickory smoke flavored salt

/ Weber Hickory smoke flavored salt
That's for sure 2Lane, I believe back in the depression who knew how old the meat was and they ate a lot critters (I know I have) just to feed themselves.

Even more important, parasites were a big deal then. Our commercially raised animals, even pork, are really parasite free today. Not so then; tapeworms and other such noxious critters were pretty common, including trichinosis. You didn't dare eat uncooked meat, even that you raised.

/ Weber Hickory smoke flavored salt #12  
Trichinosis yep mom had to burn pork back when we were kids.

I give J&D's Bacon Salt multi-packs as Christmas presents. Bacon Salt & Bacon Rub | J&Dç—´ | United States.

That said I don't add salt, just prefer foods that come salty to begin with. Got Dot's Pretzel twists? :licking:

To add smoky flavor I use a 'liquid smoke' product with my barbecued/baked beans & other specialties.
We discovered Woody's Cook-in Sauce years ago. It is generally used like BBQ sauce for cooking on the meat, but it is NOT SWEET, which I like, and is not bad about burning...and it has a great flavor. Sharn Jean puts it into her BBQ beans, and it's perfect.

/ Weber Hickory smoke flavored salt #14  
Most dry rubs and liquid marinates are already loaded with salt...too many friends and family we BBQ with have blood pressure issues so we try to limit the sodium...
For smoke flavor we use smoke...!

Last edited:
Most dry rubs and liquid marinates are already loaded with salt...too many friends and family we BBQ with have blood pressure issues so we try to limit the sodium...
For smoke flavor we use smoke...!
Of course. That's why I make my own rubb. It's not too hot, not too salty and not too sweet...everybody seems to like it, and yeah, I use Mesquite, Black Jack Oak and Pecan wood for smoke.

/ Weber Hickory smoke flavored salt #16  
I make homemade smoked salt... Once, twice a year I have a steel cookie sheet to fit the top shelf in the old Bradley smoker.. Put in a layer of Kosher salt, smoke until it is quite dark.. Crumble it to where it will work with a recycled dinner table size pepper grinder.. The product and process may not look good as you are making it, but it is quite tasty once completed..

Hickory or alder is our favorites..