Weight Distributing Hitch Question

/ Weight Distributing Hitch Question #1  

CompactTractorFan

Tractor
Kubota BX25
I have a question regarding weight distributing hitches. I have a vehicle that is rated to tow a 5,000# trailer without a weight-distributing hitch and a 10,000# trailer with one. If I purchase a trailer that weighs 2,000# empty and has a GVWR of 7,000#, but I only load it with 2,000# of cargo (totaling 4,000#), will I still need the weight distributing hitch to be LEGAL?

/ Weight Distributing Hitch Question #2  
short answer - no you don't need WD to be legal. But the COST of getting one is negligible once you see your trailer dipping forward even with only 1k weight.

What if you are hauling lumber that says 2k on ticket from store, but they grossly over estimated it and you get in accident? After the fact it was found you had over 5k of combined weight? gray area with insurance and things I'd say. then what?

Anyway - you should be fine, but if load is not able to balance properly due to size, shape or whatever and you feel squirelly , I'd say you going to wish and regret not having a WD. It's no fun going down the road with white knuckles with that impending doom feeling.

/ Weight Distributing Hitch Question #3  
No, not till you exceed the 5,000# or 500# of tongue weight.

Chris

/ Weight Distributing Hitch Question #6  
It's no fun going down the road with white knuckles with that impending doom feeling.

Where I come from, we call that BOATING. (Both when trailering, and when making night crossings, dodging ocean-going freighters, granite reefs, granite Islands and 6' "rollers"). I've never understood those guys who take a cooler with them, while boating. I can barely keep it right side up and floating when I'm SOBER. LOL :)