Weight of water

/ Weight of water #21  
16.65 pounds
Larger pipe area is inside diameter squared times pi divide by 4 subtract the outside diameter squared times pi divide by 4
Divide that number by 144to convert to square feet multiple by 100 to get cubic feet multiple by 62.4 pcf for water to get answer
Done on cheap small calculator so I probably have fat finger mistake in final answer
Area of a circle is radius squaredytimes pi, not diameter. Perimeter is diameter times pi. In most books it's written as 2 x pi x r.

/ Weight of water #23  
The answer to post #6 is a pretty important factor here, and I believe will change the number you need.

/ Weight of water #24  
My intention is to push that column of water from the bottom to the top ...

If you know the psi, which you should based on many answers here, why do you need to know the weight? If you install a pump with a greater psi capacity, it will push the water .... what am I missing?

/ Weight of water #25  
even simpler in metric, 10 meters of head is 1 bar.

/ Weight of water
Is the water only in the annular space between the two pipes, ie, inside the big pipe but not inside the small pipe? If so, I calculate 86.56 lb of water in that annular space.

Weight = [area, ft^2]*[length, ft]*[density, lb/ft^3] = [(pi/4)*(2.067^2 - 1.315^2)/144] * [100] * [62.4] = 86.56 lb

Now, that said, if you want to size a pump, the weight isn't important, the pressure at the bottom of the water column is. That would be 6240 PSF or 43.3 PSI.

Yes, the water is inside the big pipe and not the small.

I do not want to size a pump, I am building a pump similar to this How To: Home made handpump for water (all parts at Lowe's) - Survival and Preparedness - TNGunOwners.com ( Some of the part numbers are no longer any good and I am using parts of the idea and not following the example ) and also similar to a Peters pump of which I have drawings/schematics.

Peters pump uses rudimentary/primitive hardware.

Both pumps have worthy ideas that I can use.

If the water column becomes too heavy than I will need to do something different with the handle to obtain better leverage.

I also will have to improve the pump with more precision fit components for tighter seals.

Peters pump uses bicycle inner tube as a backflow preventer as an example, if the water column becomes too heavy than an inner tube will not suffice.

/ Weight of water
If you know the psi, which you should based on many answers here, why do you need to know the weight? If you install a pump with a greater psi capacity, it will push the water .... what am I missing?

Ive mentioned its a hand pump. I do not know what its capable of doing until I put it to the task

/ Weight of water #28  
What matters is not the weight of the water in the pipe, but the height of the water and the diameter of the backflow valve.

If the backflow valve is 1 inch diameter, it doesn't matter if the pipe above it is 1 inch diameter or 24 inches, the pressure on the valve is the same if the height is the same.

Bruce

Water-pipe size-pressure.jpg

/ Weight of water #29  
What matters is not the weight of the water in the pipe, but the height of the water and the diameter of the backflow valve.

If the backflow valve is 1 inch diameter, it doesn't matter if the pipe above it is 1 inch diameter or 24 inches, the pressure on the valve is the same if the height is the same.

Bruce

View attachment 683557

Ding Ding Ding, we have a Winner. Backflow preventer is pressure sensitive, so pressure at the bottom of the pipe is all that matters. If I was on a submarine, the entire Atlantic ocean above me would squish us if the area or volume mattered.

/ Weight of water #30  
1 pound of pressure at the base of a water column will raise the water 2.304 feet. 1' of elevation of a water column will cause a pressure at the bottom of the pipe to be .434 PSI.

A 100' high water source will have 43.4 PSI at the base, regardless if it holds 100 gallons or 100,000,000 gallons. If you open your faucet with no water flowing and put a pressure gauge on it and see 70 PSI then you can assume the top of the water in the tank is (70 x 2.304) or 142.8' above your pressure gauge.

The shape of the container or the number of gallons the container holds is not a factor.

Also, remember that with a check valve, one side will likely be a larger diameter than the other. A check valve that will only allow water to fill the pipe from below and stop the water from flowing back out will have a large surface area on the top side than the bottom. A 1.5" diameter surface are at 1 pound per square inch pressure will have a greater force than a 1" diameter surface at the same 1 psi.

Last edited: