Welding gloves

/ Welding gloves #12  
For the guys who weld maybe 1/2 hour a month, I suppose anything will work for them. I can recall (still remember) the days when I welded for a living and back then buying a cheap pair of gloves just meant that you would be buying another pair fairly quickly. I found that paying for a premium glove like Tillman would more than pay for itself in lasting durability and not to mention much more comfortable. I have a toolbox full of gloves that I have been supplied with on jobs where I did inspection of welding tests (got a few extra pairs at the time) and mostly I wear a pair of Tillman Tig gloves. I had purchased a pair of no name brand from Atwoods low cost at about $10 but the threads burned out in just a few times of use. I have been using the Tillmans for several months and they are dirty but still like new from heat and sparks damage. They dont insulate from hot materials too well since they have no liner, so you have to look at hot stuff pretty quickly if you pick some hot metal up but they are great for welding and cutting or brazing.

/ Welding gloves #13  
When tig welding, 99 times out of 100 I'll grab the Ove gloves. But I do own a pair of Tillmans.

Attachments

• G ove glove.JPG
    G ove glove.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 185
  • GTillman.JPG
    GTillman.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 178
  • G Leather.JPG
    G Leather.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 167
   / Welding gloves #14  
I have a dog that just loves my leather gloves. She will lay around outside the shop just waiting for me to lay my gloves down. I can just about guarantee if I am welding something, and leave the area for even a minute, she will go inside the shop and sneak off with my left handed glove everytime. When I go back to welding, I cant find the glove or the dog. For this reason, I buy whatever welding glove happens to be on sale at the time. I am finding out that for tig welding, lighter gloves are easier to work with, and clean, grease/dirt free gloves are a must for aluminum.

/ Welding gloves #15  
Please read I was sure to use words like "gentleman".
I provided an opinion. Nothing more. Those gloves
MSRP for 29 dollars, IRL maybe 22 or so, I find
that "cheap" for what you get...

It's all good...

/ Welding gloves #16  
I do not weld much but I have discovered two things that make it more enjoyable and productive: an auto-darkening helmet and a decent pair of gloves. I found that TS has the Hobart pack that contains 2 pair of heavy welding gloves and 1 pair of decent work gloves that velcro at the wrist. The pack of three cost $20 bucks. I have found that deal hard to beat...

/ Welding gloves #19  
As an hobby welding and quite often to lazy or forgetfull to remove the welding gloves while grinding for the next dob. I will end up with a nice grind wheel cut - only with new expensive gloves - I seem to be carefull with the cheap gloves. I usually have more cheap gloves around than expensive gloves.

/ Welding gloves #20  
gnaws628 said:
I am looking to buy a pair of welding gloves for MIG welding and Plasma cutting and not sure which are the best.
I can't say what's best. But what I like for mig and plasma is the gloves from COSTCO that cost about $20. for three pair. But you have to be careful not to let them get too hot as they are stitched with nylon thread and the seams will open up.
For stick welding I am using the Harbor fright welding gloves.