Well chlorinators

/ Well chlorinators #1  

repete

Veteran Member
Tractor
L2550DT IH584-4WD
I have a well that has a high iron content and I can usually keep the sulfur dioxide smell in check with carbon filters but does anyone here use a chlorine injection system?

/ Well chlorinators #2  
Our well is very deep and the water is high quality. It is pumped directly from the well to the house. The only time I have chlorinated the well is after pulling and replacing the pump. Is there a reason why you think the water is contaminated and needs chlorine?

/ Well chlorinators #3  
@repete Do you mean an in-line chlorinator?

I don't have an in well chlorinated, more on that below, but we do however have iron and manganese in our water, plus sulfate. What we do is pump the water into storage tanks, where oxygen from the air causes the iron to precipitate. If we had more of an iron problem, I would probably just bubble air into the storage tank. I have friends that bubble ozone into their storage tanks as it is more reactive and converts the iron to precipitate faster and removes hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg odor) faster. Ozone also helps remove dissolved organic material.

I think that what you want, if you don't want to go the route of storage tank(s), is to use a water filter, like a water softener, that removes iron and hydrogen sulfide. If you have manganese as well as iron, I would recommend a greensand filter, if not a BIRM or curtain filter would definitely help.
I highly recommend Hellenbrand systems as I have found them to be very durable and reliable.

I personally would not want to put chlorine into any well as chlorine attacks stainless steel, and I suspect that your pump has stainless steel in it. As one time use when the wells is put in, or pump replaced, ok, but not routinely. While you could use an in-line chlorinator, but I don't know anyone who was happy with one, as corrosion and precipitates from the water mean that the system needs frequent adjustments not to over chlorinate or under chlorinate the water. Chlorinating into a storage tank tends to be more successful as the large volume of water tends to keep the chlorine levels more stable.

Good luck, and please let us know what you end up doing.

All the best,

Peter

/ Well chlorinators #4  
I have found carbon filters less effective than I'd like against sulfur dioxide. I have found letting the water sit for a few hours after running from the tap eliminates the smell - perhaps allowing it to off gas. To remove the sulfur dioxide takes an oxidizer and a filter. I don't use one. Chlorine is one common oxidizer. My neighbor has a system using hydrogen peroxide as the oxidizer.

/ Well chlorinators #5  
My neighbor has a system using hydrogen peroxide as the oxidizer.
What I use and have for the last 20 years. I use a Pulsa-Feeder, positive displacement (perastaltic) pump and inject H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) into the raw water as it comes into the house. and then I 'pull off' the sulfur dioxide (as the H2O2) precipitates it to a solid with an industrial sized 5 micron filter with replaceable elements and that gets the little bit of iron we have as well. Nice thing about H2O2 injection besides removing the sulfur dioxide entrained in the water is it totally makes the raw water germ free. Our water always tests good with the county. Simple system and bulk H2O2 isn't that expensive either. Been paying around 80 bucks for a 15 gallon carboy which lasts me a full year.

/ Well chlorinators #7  
I don't like to use Chlorine unless there is absolutely no other way. But they make pellet chlorinators that drop a pellet down the well on a timer connected to the pressure switch. Aerating the water gets rid of a lot of stuff. You can even aerate in the well like when using a Sulfur Eliminator. I have heard good things about them except for needing another pipe or hose to the well head.

/ Well chlorinators #8  
We had minor iron problem with the well on our dairy farm in early 80,s added a pellet type chlorinator. This stopped the iron discoloration problem on the dairy equipment and our clothes from clothes washer. Again this was a minor problem compared to my uncles where water from the tap was rusty red. He had to install a major iron eliminating system that I am not sure what all was involved.

Note: i never tasted any chlorine in our water.

/ Well chlorinators
A little more info here: I have a conditioner at the well head and I have a carbon filter as the water enters the house but on occasions the sulfur smell overtakes the carbon filters. Since I have about 1500' of 2" water line I would like to disinfect that line post the conditioner.

I do not think I would run it on a regular basis but more of a monthly or quarterly schedule.

/ Well chlorinators #10  
I have a hydrogen peroxide system. US Water in Indiana is who I purchased from. Did the water test and then they recommended a system based off water test. It cleaned it up pretty quickly. Took me a few hours to install