Well, Just Heck!

/ Well, Just Heck! #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
Water pressure got low last night and worse today so I walked down to the water meter at the road. Well, durn. Meter box full of water. Go back to house and load up the shovel and items needed. Got the meter cover dug out and saw the water pressure regulator had corroded and basically fallen apart. The water company had moved my meter about 15 years ago when the county paved the road. They basically buried the line from the meter back where the regulator was hooked on. I guess that helped with the corrosion issue. Went to hardware store and picked up one. What??? $58. Ouch, wasn't but about $25 way back when...lol. Got it all hooked up and the bad part was the new regulator was a little shorter than the old one so I had to take some fittings apart to add an inch or so. Too much fun for an old man (59) to be bent over a wet hole in the ground and trying to keep from saying bad words. Got the leg cramp from he** in my left leg.. Took about two hours to finish. No leaks and the red head is happy which is all that matters anyway. :laughing:

Didn't have any water to clean up with before going to the store. Nothing like walking in stinking and covered with mud and stepping up to the counter and other people backing up...lol :D I think I'll pick up another one of those water meter boxes at Lowes to cover the regulator part so it won't be buried again. I'll have two boxes back to back, but I live way out in the sticks so looks don't matter. :rolleyes:

/ Well, Just Heck! #2  
I feel a little bad for you, but last Wed, my jet pump went out, just before it was my turn for a shower. Ancient monkeywards pump, couldn't find any info on it. So, next morning, tore the roof of the pumphouse/shed and pulled the well. Turns out the pipe went 120' to the foot valve. Crappy old thin pvc pipe, broke in quite a few spots getting it out. So because of the depth, and crappy pipe, I went ahead and got a submersible, wire, and pipe. $750 and a whole day of work missed, and 9pm thurs night we had water again. I walked into lowe's covered in rust from pulling the pipe lol. Good news is, got a little extra room in the pumphouse now. At least I'm still young enough to do things like that although my arthritis doesn't always agree.

/ Well, Just Heck! #3  
I always thought it was OK to go to the hardware store covered with mud, rust, paint, or any other crud

/ Well, Just Heck! #4  
Also glad the redhead is happy. It would be scary otherwise.

/ Well, Just Heck! #5  
I strongly believe that going into Lowes/hardware like that is the BEST!! Commands instant respect from all of the DIY wannabes usually in there.

- Jay

/ Well, Just Heck! #6  
I always thought it was OK to go to the hardware store covered with mud, rust, paint, or any other crud

Heck.....in our small hardware store......most of the staff are covered with mud, rust, paint and crud. For that matter......most of the folks in our restaurant look like that too!

/ Well, Just Heck! #7  

If I wasn't covered in mud, rust, paint or crud, I can't imagine why I would need to go there anyway.

/ Well, Just Heck! #8  
" Nothing like walking in stinking and covered with mud and stepping up to the counter and other people backing up...lol"

That's one way get ahead of the line. ;)

/ Well, Just Heck! #9  
At my local hardware store they always hire high school or just out of high school girls to work the register. When I go in there all crudded-up it's funny to see them take money with two fingers. It's like they really don't want to touch it. And if you start counting change out of a dirty hand, they nearly faint from fear. The apprehension is quite evident. I guess at that age, they've never had dirty hands. :)

/ Well, Just Heck! #10  
" Nothing like walking in stinking and covered with mud and stepping up to the counter and other people backing up...lol"

That's one way get ahead of the line. ;)

A little cow "atmosphere" on your boots helps too!