Well, now I feel really stupid

/ Well, now I feel really stupid #1  

Dr_Zinj

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230
Had an engine block heater installed in my new tractor before it was delivered. I went over the engine and tractor at least 4 times and couldn't find the darned plug for it. Had to have the dealer come back and point it out to me.

The plug had been tucked under the starter motor were I couldn't see it. The assembly on the engine looked like any other engine temperature or pressure sensor. I'd actually looked at it each time and never clued into it, so I never pulled on the wires to see where they went.

/ Well, now I feel really stupid #2  
No that was smart ... if your luck is anything like mine you would have pulled on it and it would have disconnected something that would have kept the tractor from starting.

/ Well, now I feel really stupid #3  
asking an honest question, especially on new equipment ($$$) is never dumb..

/ Well, now I feel really stupid #4  
LoL. I did something similar. This past spring I bought a brand new, electric start 6500KW generator to use with the camper and as a backup home source. Put it together, charged the battery, remounted the battery. Put some gas in and tried to start with key, no luck. It started right away with pull start, so figured I'd check the manual later. Never got around to checking - since didn't actually use it all summer. Then the other day as I was doing some things to get ready for winter, I thought fire it up. Tried the key again - same results - pull started, fine. Ran it for a little while then turned it off. Stood there looking and fiddeling with it for a few minutes then went into the house laughing. Wife asked what was so funny. I said remember how that new generator wouldn't start? She said yes. I said, well it does now - especially if you remember that you have to connect both the "hot" and "ground" wires to the battery! :eek: When I had put the battery on the first time after charging, I had forgot to reconnect the ground wire. I had tucked it up and you couldn't see it. Talk about feeling stupid!:eek:

/ Well, now I feel really stupid #5  
I don't regard any question as being stupid, especially if the correct answer is vital to the issue at hand. One way to learn is to ask questions. And hopefully we can pass our acquired knowledge on and help others.:)

/ Well, now I feel really stupid #6  
I have not done this one yet, but I probably will some day- forgetting to unplug the power cord after warmup. My power cord bonehead move was to leave the powercord out before an ice/snowstorm event. It got so icebound that I could not retrieve it whole :(.

And I agree about questions.

/ Well, now I feel really stupid #7  
I have not done this one yet, but I probably will some day- forgetting to unplug the power cord after warmup. My power cord bonehead move was to leave the powercord out before an ice/snowstorm event. It got so icebound that I could not retrieve it whole :(.

And I agree about questions.

I can see myself doing that, too.

I always leave the slack in the extension cord laying up against the cab windshield so I can see it before moving the tractor.

I leave the hood up when the battery tender is hooked up.

So far, I haven't torn anything apart!

/ Well, now I feel really stupid #8  
I could usually see at least one car going down the street with the block heater extension cord dragging when I lived up in Canada. Easy to do if you dont put some kind of reminder so you remember to unplug.

/ Well, now I feel really stupid #9  
Pricey, but they do make "auto eject" plug-receptacles ... I think this is one reference Kussmaul Electronics Co., Inc. Auto & Air Ejects

to quote "A solenoid wired to the vehicle's starter is energized when the engine is started. This instantaneously drives the plug from the receptacle. This simple reliable device eliminates forever the broken cables which result when drivers forget to remove the shore line before driving away."

Cheap me, I do what others of you do, drape the extension cord over a driver-side view mirror on my trucks, or over the steering wheel of my tractor.

/ Well, now I feel really stupid #10  
I do the same with both my battery tender and the block heater cord in the winter. I have come close to driving off with one or the other still connected :confused2:

I also ended up putting a flag on the garage door when I have the ROPS up so I don't smash it into the garage. Been there and done that to.