well problem

/ well problem #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Sorry if this dual posts, I posted one last night it didnt show up.....
We have a deep well, 265'. The pump keeps tripping the breaker. I replaced the breaker...kept tripping, bought a new breaker kept trippping. So i have an older pressure valve, swap out the valve and pressure tank (i had them, because i knew the tank would be going) and the breaker keeps tripping.
I know we have a 3/4 pump, but this is about as far as i can work on it my own. I called a well guy we know to come and take a look. Not sure what else to do.

/ well problem #2  
If the breaker keeps tripping you have a problem somewhere in your line or pump. (I know I'm stating the obvious, sorry.) It's going to be quite a chore to pull up all that wire and the pump but something down there is damaged.

/ well problem
Thank you thats what i was figuring....Not sure how it got damaged but arrrggg its going to be a pain.

/ well problem #4  
What has happened to mine is the wire got rubbed through on the inside of the well casing by the slight movement when the pump turns on. There is quite a bit of torque in the pump and it will spin a little when it goes on. The wires on mine were not attached to the pipe so they had a chance to rub. I pulled the pump, spliced the line and wire tied it to the plastic line to stop any rub through. It is quite easy to pull the well if you have two tractors, with one having a FEL. Place the FEL over the well casing and put a pulley on it hanging down. Run the rope that should be on the pump already and pull it up with the other tractor. You will need someone to walk the pipe out as the pump is being pulled as well as someone to watch at the well casing to make sure the pipe does not drag across the top of the well casing and get damaged. So a three person operation when I have done it the two times I needed to. Once for a broken foot valve and the wire short. By the way my well is 145' deep and all that water in the line is quite heavy!

/ well problem #5  
This summer, my pump, down at 360', started popping the overload on the controller box. I was sure I was in for a big payout to get the pump pulled and replaced. When the serviceman came he just changed out the controller and all is well. It was a little over $200 total instead of 10 times that much. I sure got lucky and you might too.

/ well problem
Wow that was nice luck. I am saving now for a tractor, i have a little lawn tractor that does more then it should, but no pto, no fel. It would sure be nice if it was an easy fix.

/ well problem #7  
I have pulled a couple using an "A" frame or "tepee" to attach a pulley to. I remember one that had galvanized pipe in it, that was easy, just removed each piece as it cleared the well head. The other one had PVC down to the last 2 joints. Also easy as I just cut the bells off and used collars when re-installed.

I used a steel plate with 2 holes in it. 1 hole was for the hook on the pulley, the other was large enough to go over the collars, the large hole would grip the pipe after a little pressure was released from the "pull" line. worked pretty good, saved me allot of $$ and took about half a day not counting refreshment time which took the other half of the day :D

/ well problem
Thats a great idea...i like the a-frame teepee idea.
just called the well people, waiting for a call back.

/ well problem #9  
Just had one of my well pumps pulled and replaced by guys who do that sorta thing for a living,mine was only down about 130 ft,,over 800 bucks,,

/ well problem #10  
Forgeblast,

If you have a 2 wire 3/4 HP then you will need to pull the pump. If you have a 3 wire with a control box above ground, then the pump guys (or you) could replace the capacitor and motor start circuit in that box, thus MAYBE saving pulling the pump.

If you do indeed still have a problem, two guys can pull a 200' deep submersible pump easily ( I used to do it myself) just get a 1" threaded pipe to go in the pitless adapter and lift, and lift and lift.. for about 15 minutes. As others have commented there is galv pipe, 20' PVC pipe, but I would bet you have 160LB blue or black poly pipe if your install is less than 30 years old in PA.

Once you get the pump out (if you cant fix in the control box) inspect all the wires, tape and use the white pipe guards every 20' or so, then make sure the pipe is CLEAN going back in your well..grass is wiped off etc. We have a well 375' with a 1.5HP 2 wire, the motor went and they put a new pump on only to replace it 2x due to grass clippings clogging the intake screens..