Well that wasn't any fun!

/ Well that wasn't any fun! #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
There has to be some kind of a secret to adjusting the turnbuckles on the lower arms! :mad:

On the L2501, I removed the finishing mower as I am done with it for now and put the bush hog on...or tried too. I adjusted some on the turnbuckle on the right side as it was rubbing on the inside of the right tire. Almost impossible to do when the implement is on and in somewhat of a bind. I slid the right side arm off the pin and adjusted the turnbuckle and could not get the arm back on the hog. I fought with that thing for about an hour adjusting and pushing the hog around with a pry bar. I finally just removed the vertical adjusting rod on that side and then could do the turnbuckle. Re-adjust the vertical rod and then it was ok. Is there an easier way to adjust the turnbuckle with the implement attached? Not much room to do anything with one of those. btw, it is adjusted for now so there is no bind, but I do not wish to go through that again with the next implement change. I am use to the old Ford 8N that I have and it uses stabilizer bars to hold the implement where it won't hit the tires. Much easier to use. I am not in love with the turnbuckle type right now. ugh! :confused2:

/ Well that wasn't any fun! #2  
Get your self a quick hitch and adjust it one time and your done. One step up from that is a hydraulic top link with that quick hitch.
I spent a little time setting up all my attachments to be compatible now I can change implements in 20 seconds and they are perfectly adjusted. Pto shafts are the only added work.

/ Well that wasn't any fun!
I have one of those harbor freight quick hitches and have used it on the Ford. I had to modify the top hook up on some of my older implements such as two bottom plow, bush hog and a few others. I guess I need to try it out with the Kubota to see if it's any help. Thanks.

/ Well that wasn't any fun! #4  
I also had a little trouble with the hook at first. I shaved some off the inside. This helped but the hydro top link makes it very easy. Good luck once you get it setup right it's infinitely easier. Can't believe it took me so long.

/ Well that wasn't any fun! #5  
There has to be some kind of a secret to adjusting the turnbuckles on the lower arms! :mad:

On the L2501, I removed the finishing mower as I am done with it for now and put the bush hog on...or tried too. I adjusted some on the turnbuckle on the right side as it was rubbing on the inside of the right tire. --------------- Is there an easier way to adjust the turnbuckle with the implement attached? Not much room to do anything with one of those. -----

I always put the hydraulic top link on, raised it up and adjusted both sides to center it.

With the hydraulic top link on first and my pvc pipe extender on the remote lever, I could move the brush hog forward or back, to get the lower kinks on.

Last edited:
   / Well that wasn't any fun! #6  
I generally back in close enough to extend and connect the PTO shaft first. Doing this leaves more room to operate, I see no need to connect links only to have a battle with the driveline... Then I keep the 3pt all the way down and back in towards the pins. I go to my right side adjustable side/tilt link and adjust it way down out of the way, then go to the left side and lift it up onto the pin, using the telescoping link end to complete lining it up. Having the right side extended down prevents it from catching on the right side pin so it is no hassle to lift the left into place. I go around to the right side and hold the link over while cranking the side/tilt link back up level where I can slip it onto the pin, also using the telescoping end as needed. After both lower links are connected I go to the controls and bump reverse to lock the lower links, then I attach and adjust the top link. Once it is on I raise the implement so it can swing side to side and I lean on it to find the center position and lock it into place...

I've found these types of alignment bars to be the go-to tool for rotating implement drivelines, lining up pin or bolt holes, and would probably work wonders getting OP's turnbuckles moving under load:
30" Alignment Pry Bar

Mine is painted bright red to match my tractor :D

(actually it was the only color of paint I had handy that wasn't a color easily lost in my field)

/ Well that wasn't any fun! #7  

On the L2501, I removed the finishing mower as I am done with it for now and put the bush hog on...or tried too. I adjusted some on the turnbuckle on the right side as it was rubbing on the inside of the right tire. Almost impossible to do when the implement is on and in somewhat of a bind. I slid the right side arm off the pin and adjusted the turnbuckle and could not get the arm back on the hog. I fought with that thing for about an hour adjusting and pushing the hog around with a pry bar. I finally just removed the vertical adjusting rod on that side and then could do the turnbuckle. Re-adjust the vertical rod and then it was ok. Is there an easier way to adjust the turnbuckle with the implement attached? Not much room to do anything with one of those. btw, it is adjusted for now so there is no bind, but I do not wish to go through that again with the next implement change. I am use to the old Ford 8N that I have and it uses stabilizer bars to hold the implement where it won't hit the tires. Much easier to use. I am not in love with the turnbuckle type right now. ugh! :confused2:

Spend another $175 and add these.... It was the best accessory I installed after purchasing my tractor.

/ Well that wasn't any fun! #8  
Spend another $175 and add these.... It was the best accessory I installed after purchasing my tractor.

I agree, I bought them for my L3200 and they are great. Wholegoods part # L8430. Messicks can order them if you want to purchase online.

/ Well that wasn't any fun! #9  
I can't recall ever useing a pry bar to hook up anything. I let the tractor move the attachment after I hook up one pin. If you have your loader on it can also help you. Turn the bucket down and have it stright up and down, put some weight on it. Now you can use the loader to move the tractor fwd and back. It sure works great when hooking something on the draw bar. You can move the draw bar up and down and fwd or back.
I set and watch the guy across from me alot. It takes him 1 1/2 hrs to take his hay spear off and put a bush hog on and some times he doesn't get the bush hog on. He is not new to this it's been this way for18 years and he well not let you tell him how to do it. He just tell everyone that has tried to help " you guy think you know everything". So I let him keep working his a## off and watch.

/ Well that wasn't any fun!
No more turnbuckles with the stabilizer kit?