Well that wasn't any fun!

/ Well that wasn't any fun!
I swapped out the top link on the Kubota, little bitty thing, for the heavier beefy one from my 8N tractor. The one from the 8N has a long rod in the middle for adjusting and also, I have it greased a little for easier adjustments. This helped a bunch in adjustments this morning. I ran my chainsaw for several hours off and on and then used the FEL to push a bunch of limbs/trees off of the trail that I've been working on. I'll post some pics of the trails tomorrow. Having an FEL/4WD sure makes a bunch of difference compared to an old 8N tractor. Tornado knocked down some big trees and vines have grown all through the mess from 4 years ago. Of course, I am a whipped old man (59) tonight. I'm getting too old for this stuff, whew! :frown:

/ Well that wasn't any fun! #22  
"What I don't understand is why you would have trouble adjusting the turnbuckles with the implement raised off of the ground. You can easily push any heavy implement a bit sideways with one hand to get the bind off of the turnbuckles, you can adjust with one hand. You weren't trying to adjust them while the implement was on the ground and in a bind were you?"

The implement was on the ground. :ashamed: I'm going to have to adjust how I hook up to things, I guess.
Old tractors and new tractors and old tractor operators are just a bad mix. :confused2:

OK this explains a lot. With the implement still on the ground, you are basically using the little turnbuckle to try to move the implement sideways (or looked at another way, to try to move the tractor sideways).

So, what I do:

1) with turnbuckles loose, back into attachment position.

2) connect one side link.

3) connect other side link.

4) connect top link.

4a) (optional) attach PTO shaft. do a "pull-check" at both ends to ensure that the couplers are seated securely. if there are guard chains on the PTO shaft cover, attach them as required.

5) using the hydraulics, raise the implement a few inches off the ground. if the tractor and implement are both on a reasonably level surface, once it is raised up the implement will pretty much "self-center". if you are not on level ground, you may have to use some elbow grease to center the implement a bit.

6) now twist the turnbuckles. i never thoroughly tighten them; I always leave at least about 2" of side-to-side play on the implement. this prevents any sort of binding when the implement is raised/lowered and also allows a little give during operation.

7) now level the implement front-to-back as desired via the top link.

8) done.

wrooster

/ Well that wasn't any fun! #23  
There has to be some kind of a secret to adjusting the turnbuckles on the lower arms! :mad:

On the L2501, I removed the finishing mower as I am done with it for now and put the bush hog on...or tried too. I adjusted some on the turnbuckle on the right side as it was rubbing on the inside of the right tire. Almost impossible to do when the implement is on and in somewhat of a bind. I slid the right side arm off the pin and adjusted the turnbuckle and could not get the arm back on the hog. I fought with that thing for about an hour adjusting and pushing the hog around with a pry bar. I finally just removed the vertical adjusting rod on that side and then could do the turnbuckle. Re-adjust the vertical rod and then it was ok. Is there an easier way to adjust the turnbuckle with the implement attached? Not much room to do anything with one of those. btw, it is adjusted for now so there is no bind, but I do not wish to go through that again with the next implement change. I am use to the old Ford 8N that I have and it uses stabilizer bars to hold the implement where it won't hit the tires. Much easier to use. I am not in love with the turnbuckle type right now. ugh! :confused2:

As you get older, you begin to realize what you used to accomplish with brute force now requires more finesse and planning because the "brute" part of your force isn't around so much anymore. I figured out hooking up the 3 point implements went a whole lot easier on a hard, level surface and made arrangements for same. Then I figured out it's easier still if the implements can be easily rolled up to the tractor and made up some dollies. I suppose the next problem will not be weak muscles but old age forgetfulness. Probably should stay off the tractor when that sets in.

/ Well that wasn't any fun! #24  
As you get older, you begin to realize what you used to accomplish with brute force now requires more finesse and planning because the "brute" part of your force isn't around so much anymore.

This is so true. Its a reason why I have a tractor and lots of other tools. When I was younger my wife always told me to careful doing stuff alone or pushing things a bit. Now she agrees that I need a bigger tractor, with more creature comforts, and wait minute. She's saying I am old!

Oh yeah I am. Crap when did that happen.

Well, least I am getting new tractor. Where's the Aleve my shoulder is killing me from hammering the new door on the hoop house. Hmm wonder if that will get me a new framing gun? Hey honey! :)