Well the journey has begun- lots of pics

/ Well the journey has begun- lots of pics
shoot, it won't let me edit post 39, now......and it's all messed up...

i'll just redo it in another post....

/ Well the journey has begun- lots of pics #42  
Looks great, you gonna pave that pathway? ;)

Seriously, congrats and enjoy your piece of heaven.

/ Well the journey has begun- lots of pics #43  
From what I can tell you can only edit your last post on a thread. After that its too late!

/ Well the journey has begun- lots of pics #44  
Flathead,
I saw your note about a nut for the shear pin. I did the same thing once while out in the field and didn't want to stop so I pulled a roll of black electrical tape out and just taped around the pin and collar a few times.

That's worked so well for me I no longer buy nuts...just the pins.

hahaha, I was thinking, "It'll be under a bind the whole time and really doesn't spin fast enough to sling it out......."

tape would have worked great......good tip!

Flathead,
I saw your note about a nut for the shear pin. I did the same thing once while out in the field and didn't want to stop so I pulled a roll of black electrical tape out and just taped around the pin and collar a few times.

That's worked so well for me I no longer buy nuts...just the pins.

Well, it has been a while since I've updated ya'll.

It seems like I got a lot done but I feel I could have completed more- don't you always feel that way?

I fixed my driveshaft on my flail mower. I had twisted it right before the triangular shaft went in to the yoke. So, I cut it off and redrilled the hole for the roll pin. Well, back out to the property and was going through some VERY heavy weeds that had a lot of vines in them.....I twisted it out again. Just so happened that one of the neighbors showed up (there's a bunch that come back to hand out- great fellas!). He can weld and took it back, cut it off again, redrilled for the roll pin and even beefed it up with a pc. of steel tubing inserted and welded into the inside of the shaft. This would help keep it from collapsing. I bought this 88" flail with no shaft, so I picked one up at tractor supply. Well, my buddy went and bought a flail off of the same guy I picked mine up from. However, his had a factory driveshaft. Wow, it is much bigger and heavier. So, I'd like to find one like it......shoot, it's probably just cheaper to buy the whole fail mower....

Chuck and the neighbor with the beast continued to help me mow down some pretty rough areas. Chuck even knocked the headlight out of his new bota 3240 and I felt badly about it. So, I called Messick's and order it and a little plastic guard for the front of the tractor. I was thinking $75 would be high for the light housing.......turns out it would be $175!!!:eek: Oh, well, I felt I owed it to him. He had a nice new tractor and was only working for fuel. When I told him what I had done- so that he wouldn't order one too- he argued and argued about it and then suddenly agreed to it. Then, about a week later, I was out to the propery and there was a new pc. of 12x20 smooth bore culvert laying right where I had discussed with him about putting one. Of course he denied it but he's not a good liar!:D

I left many of the trees in the fields; crab apple (beautiful in spring and great for wildlife), sycamore (massive tree that is a great park looking tree once they mature, tullip poplars and regular polars, maples, for some reason there's a blue million persimon trees (good for wildlife), some cedar trees, a few pines, lots of dogwood (beautiful in spring), few oaks, way too much sumac,a few bird placed apple, and vairous other trees. Actually, I've left and cut around thousands of trees. Come the spring, however, I'm going to plan what I want the meadwo area to look like; thin the trees out accoring to type, species, flowering, density, etc. I'll just take a chainsaw and cut them flush to the ground. Many of them I have already taken a weedeater and trimmed around them.

I'm a sucker for being sentimental and looking at history. When I work on old hot rods, antique cars, I often spend more time thinking about who owned the car before me, did they have a family, were times tough, where were they from, etc. than actually working on the car.

Well, this property is know different, it may actually be worse for me. The hours I spent bush hogging and walking the land, I can't help but ponder who owned this land? Did native Americans set up, hunt, etc. around here? What are the stories of the people that owned the land before us?

When I first started dealing on the property, I went to the courthouse and quickly did a search just to see if there were any leans, etc. that I could find without hiring an attorney. While looking through the records, I did write down every individual's name that had once owned it.

So, after the driveway (no gravel) got to wet to continue to work out there, I kind of set off on a journey of discovery to see what I could find out about my property and the people that once owned it.

That area around the big oak tree is where all the stones were. The stones over-all foot print was quite large for just a typical cabin built in the early 1800's. There's an old well that I have yet to remove the rock placed there in the 70's by one of the neighbors to keep kids from falling in to it. Remember, this land has basically sat abandoned for quite a long time.

Anyway, my research began. All I had was a name.

James Gibbens

This was the first owner. I searched Google, the local historical dept., libraries, etc. Information wasn't forthcoming at all, in my early searches. Then, I struck gold and in several places. I found a book at the high school I teach at titled, "History of the Lower Scioto Valley." And there he was. Here is the excerpt:

"History of Lower Scioto Valley," pg 826

"James Gibbens was born near Parkersburg, Wood Co., W. Va., Feb. 1, 1799, and was married April 16, 1819, to Hannah Kittle, who was born in Randolph County, Va., Dec. 25, 1797. In the spring of 1821 they came to Ohio and settled on a farm near Wheelersburg, where he farmed three years. He is a house-joiner by trade, and has followed that occupation most of his life. He has held township offices for many years, and was ordained Deacon of the Free-Will Baptist church about 1835, to which church he has belonged over fifty years. His wife is also a member of the same church. They were blessed with a family of eleven children, of whom six grew to maturity. Two of his sons were volunteers in the late war- Cyrus H., who was killed at the battle of Atlanta by the explosion of a shell, and Randolph, who went South in 1860, and is supposed to be dead. Mr. Gibbens held the position of Deacon till within the last six years, when he resigned. He is in the eighty-fifth year, and they are the oldest couple living in Scioto County."

Found this in there too:

Early Settlers
"There are the names of many of the old pioneers of Porter Township entered among the list of old settlers given in the history of Scioto County, and among those who were born here, or came in childhood's days and are yet living, are: Madison Price, Elias Marchall, and levi Smith, of Sciotoville; Jonathan Hurd, James Littlejohn and Theodore bliss, of Wheelersburg; and Isaac Fullerton and John Baccus. Among the oldest couples living are: Mr. and Mrs. Gibbens, Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Hurd, all of whom are over eighty years of age, with the prospect of several years more of a quiet and peaceful life."

Whoah!!!:eek: He had 11 kids, was a house joiner by trade (explains the large foundation for the house- maybe??) and was fairly involveded in the community.

Then, while searching on the internet, I hit gold again. I actually found some of his descendants that were looking for information on him. They had an actual copy of when James Gibbens bought the property from the US Government from the Northwest Territory in 1837!. How about that! And, they had some other minor details that I found interesting.

I have found out some other interesting info through the same process. I have been very busy lately and need to get back in contact with the descendants of these families that once owed this land. I feel obligated to them to help them continue their search. With regards to Mr. and Mrs. Gibbens, I, nor the descendants, have been able to find a cemetery with their stones, yet. I'll keep on that. I'm hooked!

More later, folks.....

/ Well the journey has begun- lots of pics #48  
All that info is cool ... My abstract starts in 1807 the first deed given by the Choctaw Indians deeding the land known as "Many Springs"

It makes for interesting reading ... BTW you got a darn nice piece of the American Dream!!

Once again, near this oak tree is where the foundation rocks were. Honestly, when I moved them I felt sad. I knew they had been there for at least 130+ years. I briefly took a metal detector around a small area in this weeded mess and found some old fence (of course!), a double bit axe head and an old style hoe. Wonder if James Gibbens ever used them? I will look more extensively as time permits.....and, I don't want to find all the treasures all at once! Besides, that mason jar with 100k in it has to be there somewhere!

The rocks will serve a purpose. I piled them around the old well to help keep people away from it- even though it's capped with a large stone.

Shucks, I thought I uploaded more recent pics to photobucket....sorry.....

Thanks.....

yeah, that stuff is fascinating...... do you have much other info. on your property?

i'd like to do something with the original owner's last name but I'm not sure what; put it on a rock, etc....

All that info is cool ... My abstract starts in 1807 the first deed given by the Choctaw Indians deeding the land known as "Many Springs"

It makes for interesting reading ... BTW you got a darn nice piece of the American Dream!!