Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #41  
Someone a while back posted a photo of their storage for this implement. He reused an engine hoist and modified it to fit the auger attachment. Thought I'd saved it to reproduce but I cannot find it. Time to search here again!

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #42  
Digging holes with a 12" hyd auger that replaced my backhoe bucket is quite simple, and easy to reverse rotation with the movement of a lever if needed.

I just made a simple bracket to mount the hyd motor to the ho' dipper, instead of the bucked and put quick disconnect fittings on the bucket curl cylinder hoses.

When the holes are dug, and posts are placed in the holes, I dump in 3-5 gallons of water and kick the dirt back in around the post with my boots, using a re rod or shovel handle pushed up/down like a plunger in the hole to distribute the mud evenly.
The slurry of mud self levels with no need to tamp, and wiggling the post around also helps to get a full hole of backfilled dirt.
A old 24" carpenters level helps with straightness of the posts.
Using the backhoe to position/lift the auger makes for an easy day, as you only need to be close to where you want the holes as a mere lever movement puts the auger spot on.

The next day the post are firm, just as if you used concrete.
I will admit Blue clay soil back fill is best substituted with a loam or other as the blue clay is lumpy.

I set over a hundred used utility posts in my cattle pasture back during the 9/11 situation, and they still are standing.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #43  
Found one good one that I like better.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #44  
Post holes have become so scientifically complicated. I usually just buy mine. A guy comes from town and drops them off.

Great suggestion. I didn't see any at my Home Depot. I'll be checking Wilco later today when I go to the auto store, to buy replacement smoke for the Lucas electrical system in my British car.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #45  
I have an alternative suggestion. 40 years ago when I started fencing I bought an auger. Then I met a guy with a post driver. I got one as fast as I could. With it I can pound a post into the ground in the time it took to auger out a hole. Afterward there's no back filling, tamping or mess. The post is rock solid instead of softly held. Storage is easier too. Just pound in a post then lock the driver into the travel mode and lower it onto the post. For safety strap it to the post and release the 3 point. Oh and disconnect the hydraulics.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #46  
When the holes are dug, and posts are placed in the holes, I dump in 3-5 gallons of water and kick the dirt back in around the post with my boots, using a re rod or shovel handle pushed up/down like a plunger in the hole to distribute the mud evenly.
The slurry of mud self levels with no need to tamp, and wiggling the post around also helps to get a full hole of backfilled dirt..

The next day the post are firm, just as if you used concrete.
I will admit Blue clay soil back fill is best substituted with a loam or other as the blue clay is lumpy.
Goes to show all dirt isn't the same. If you did it that way with Palouse top soil, your posts would be loose as a goose.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #47  
When I finish with my PHD I drov a T-post in the ground and stood my digger against it and wrapped a small chain around to keep it in place. Also, don’t try to dig the hole in one shot, raise and lower ever six inches to a foot. As far as keeping the hole vertical, if you’re putting a 6” post in a 9” hole you have some wiggle room already so I wouldn’t get paranoid about having a perfectly vertical hole, that doesn’t mean you can have a 45 degree angle but I think you get my drift.I’m 76 years old and hooking my auger up is the easiest piece of equipment that I have to hook up. There’s a method to it and if you stop and look at it for just a minute you can figure it out.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #48  
Great suggestion. I didn't see any at my Home Depot. I'll be checking Wilco later today when I go to the auto store, to buy replacement smoke for the Lucas electrical system in my British car.
Remember that it may be 6v, positive ground smoke. You don't want incompatible smoke.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #49  
Pic of the carrier I built for the PHD
1637344072391.jpeg
1637344072391.jpeg
1637344072391.jpeg

pic of carrier I made for PHD. Designed to slide under tractor when hooking it up and when not in use can move it around in the yard as needed

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #50  
Never used a post hole digger yet. I rented a post pounder, me and my helper could drive about 100 posts a day. Fast and easy to do. Cost me about $160 CAD a day to rent it. Im fortunate that I have very few rocks here, mostly clay. I think I hit 2 rocks out of about 300 posts pounded.