Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #81  
Just wait till you screw It in through roots and the only way out is to back it all the way out with a pipe wrench
I thought about doing that but it seemed like too much work.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #82  
Once I get the hole to depth I'll raise and lower the auger several times and let the dirt fly off. That really helps keep the manual post hole diggers to a minimum. I've not had the "joy" of backing the auger out by hand yet but I have broken plenty of shear bolts. Keep a good supply. As for the post pounder, that's just something to keep all us low usage guys jealous.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #83  
Once I get the hole to depth I'll raise and lower the auger several times and let the dirt fly off. That really helps keep the manual post hole diggers to a minimum. I've not had the "joy" of backing the auger out by hand yet but I have broken plenty of shear bolts. Keep a good supply. As for the post pounder, that's just something to keep all us low usage guys jealous.
I find that the amount of dirt left behind varies greatly by the type and moisture content of the dirt.
If I use my phd in late summer.... assuming it gets through the hard pan, it leaves a ton of finely ground dirt at the bottom of the hole which isn't too easy to get up with with the manual digger either. If the soil is wet, pretty much don't have to clean out the bottom at all, though you have to help get the clay off of the auger occasionally as it won't fling off at all.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #84  
I love threads like this. Hopefully what I read here will keep me from doing at least a few of the mistakes. Lots of good info here.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #85  
Mine got stuck on a rock, pulled it out of hole and it bent the cutting edge down.
I had forgotten about it, my neighbor asked to borrow it, he fixed it.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #86  
Mine got stuck on a rock, pulled it out of hole and it bent the cutting edge down.
I had forgotten about it, my neighbor asked to borrow it, he fixed it.
That's one fine neighbor!

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #87  
   / Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers
First go slow lower til point is on place want hole, move tractor forward so that digger is at approximate 10 degrees. Then start auger. The arc of penetration will give you a straight hole or at least close enough. Dig slowly and lift auger a few times (but not out of hole) to throw dirt out. When hole is deep enough stop auger and lift out of hole. If done as stated very little dirt will remain in the hole. This works for me.
The 10 degrees part that's real helpful thanks
I've taken to getting the last of the dirt out by dropping the auger all the way in and hitting the revs and snapping it up but not all the way out of the hole. It actually works. My auger won't twist the pto drive shaft if it's running at the top of its arc. I've seen a video of one that did.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #89  
Maybe I am odd man out on this one.

I needed to run a new chain-link fence and really didn't want to spend days doing it by hand. Off to Tractor Supply! I learned 2 lessons very quickly.

1. Be careful which hole you connect to your toplink. I shattered the rear window out of the tractor on the 1st lift.
2. If you have rocky ground - SAVE YOUR MONEY. Either opt for a more expensive FEL version, or go rent a skidsteer with an auger.

$499 for the auger. A few hundred for the glass. Still dug 90% of the holes by hand.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #90  
Yes, my wife watches the auger as it goes down and motions me to move the tractor forward as it goes deeper. One trick to minimize how much dirt you have to dig out with the manual post hole digger: Turn your auger off before you lift the auger out. Much of the dirt will stay on the auger blade.

I assume you are putting in wooden posts. I pre-mark the ground level required on the posts before hand with a felt pen so I can get the hole to the right depth easy. I also over drill the auger holes and keep sand in the tractor bucket to fill the hole back to the right depth. I also make a tripod out of 2 x 2 sticks (attached to the pole with construction screws) to hold the pole straight and level while backfilling.

Backfilling is the hardest and most time consuming part of putting a post in. I went from a 9 inch to 13 inch diameter auger to allow for more error in hole location and straightness, and to allow more room for a tamping stick. Contrary to one's intuition, it is actually quicker and easier to backfill and tamp an oversized hole.
Do you back fill with dirt or gravel? Every use concrete?