Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #31  
First; if you don't know what you are doing (read: there's gotta be an optimal order of operations) then hooking one up to the 3-point is a real beast of a job.
Second; Hanging it by a rope from a tree on sloped ground is not the best storage option.
Third; Go slow stupid. Speed is not your friend when working with powerful hydraulics and heavy equipment.
Fourth; there is a reason they put that little valve under the front of the seat.
Fifth; get yourself an old school manual post hole digger to get the loose dirt out of the last foot of the hole

I did get one post in.

I got a question for the initiated.
Do you bother making sure your angle of entry is as vertical as you can by moving the tractor as you lower the auger? I did but I sort of wonder about the wisdom of it.
I built a dolly for my 3 pt post hole auger. It's just made from dimensional lumber but holds everything in the position I need to just back up to it, connect and go. I attached steel wheeled casters to the bottom so I can wheel it out of the way when not in use.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #32  
I use 2 t-post to support my PHD; makes a tripod. The only thing I find my PHD useful is for marking the spots where I dig the hole with my backhoe. To many rocks where I live. Sometime I get lucky.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #33  
I got my PHD four years ago:)

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #34  
I made a bracket that comes off of a big post that hangs my post hole digger from with a chain. Things I've learned too are;
- If the teeth are worn/garbage - replace them! It will save you hours and your sanity!
- You can pull the auger out with a chain and the 3-point when drilled in the ground - most of the time.
- hit it multiple times instead of big bites.
- drive forward as you go down.
- oversized is a must!
- stop the auger in the bottom, lift out, move forward/backward and turn it back on.
- a relatively small root can ruin your afternoon!

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #35  
Keep lots of Shear Pins of the correct metallurgy in the Tractor tool box along with hammer and drift punch.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #36  
Let me know when you come up with a good way to store the post hole
I store mine hanging from the rafters of my barn with a 2.5" ratchet strap over the rafter and through the horseshoe. With both "S" hooks at a reachable level, once attached and lifted I unhook the S-hooks and head on out. Putting away is just as easy, attach the S-hooks to each other (the length of strap is determined when you initially hang the digger) and lower the digger until it hangs then disconnect 3-point. I'm out of town today or I'd get a picture, if I remember, I'll take a photo next time I'm up there.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #37  
I remove the auger bit and place the output shaft into a section of pvc pipe that I buried in the ground. The arms that hook into the 3ph support it and I welded a couple of small tabs to the top of the arm to hold the pto shaft up off of the ground. It's still a PIA to hook/unhook, but it is doable by myself.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #38  
I had to put in a couple dozen posts once and a neighbor gave me a 3 point auger.

I tried using the 3 point auger setup but it was such a pita; my tractor's clutch had to be engaged for the PTO to work so the tractor had to be in neutral with the brakes applied to keep it from rolling.

After the first couple holes we just rented a small boxer machine on tracks with an auger and an extension. The extension lets you get really deep so that you don't have to use a post hole digger to manually clean out the bottom of the hole.

If we just needed to do one or two holes I'd have stuck it out with the 3 point auger but the boxer machine is small and compact and much more maneuverable.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #39  
I remove the auger and lower the gear head into an old tire sitting on a pallet to rest and be stable. A concrete block on edge under each 3 pt side pin yoke keeps them the correct height to unmount or remount the tractor 3 pt side bars. Number of tires may very with your tractor and digger. Mine is in a barn so nothing collects water.

/ Well today I learned 5 things about post hole augers #40  
"Fourth; there is a reason they put that little valve under the front of the seat."
Do you have a hydraulic down-pressure rig on your post hole auger? If so, can you please post a picture or describe the make, model, etc.?

Also, what kind of soil are you working with?