Well used X 500 Impulse buy

/ Well used X 500 Impulse buy
If you bought it at hd or lowes…..they just went back onto shelf.
Nope, North 40 outfitters.

They pulled the 2 cans and I talked to a manager at the front as well and he said they would have the workers watch for people getting into the can tops in the future.
They thanked me for not just putting them back on the shelf and we discussed that if sold that would mean a trip back to the store for another customer to replace the cans and would likely be irritated as well.

Low Life thief(s)
The cashier almost didn't charge me for one item he missed and I had to point out that I did not see it on the ticket display. We fixed that. North 40 I like Home Depot, not so much.

Last edited:
   / Well used X 500 Impulse buy #32  
Ah the cda north 40 is a huge store……i shop there alot. The sandpoint store is not as large, but quite well stocked.

i only said that because i returned a defective dewalt sander to HD last year and the guy placed it into a basket labeled tools. Not into a return to vendor box. I know it went back onto shelf.

/ Well used X 500 Impulse buy #33  
Years ago, I had a riding mower that we used to mow about 2 acres very often,(Houston area). I welded up cracks in the deck so many times it got to where I was welding over welds. I had a sheet metal shop bend up a rectangular deck out of 16 ga crs. I welded the corners, added new spindles, skids and wheels and we used that mower another 5 years before we moved to town and with a very small yard. That deck was still useable.
Which brand mower and deck?

Nope, North 40 outfitters.

They pulled the 2 cans and I talked to a manager at the front as well and he said they would have the workers watch for people getting into the can tops in the future.
They thanked me for not just putting them back on the shelf and we discussed that if sold that would mean a trip back to the store for another customer to replace the cans and would likely be irritated as well.

Low Life thief(s)
The cashier almost didn't charge me for one item he missed and I had to point out that I did not see it on the ticket display. We fixed that. North 40 I like Home Depot, not so much.
Well made some more progress on the x500 today removed the hood and prepprd the hood for some fiber glass repair. It is not going to be close to perfect. The hood was drilled at the crack ends by PO and he used what appears to be white spackling for the repair Not sure on that but that white will sure show up in the cracks and I could not get it all out so just decided it will be better than Gorrilla taping it Maybe I will reassemble the hood to the mower in the morning. I ordered some replacement deck wheels off of ebay on Tuesday and they showed this afternoon.

One wheel and the support shaft height adjuster was REALLY worn.

I decided to home brew a repair and drilled out the old wheel shaft Found a bolt that matched the wheel hole size.

Cut the excess threads off and then turned down the remaining bolt to be a light press fit in the drilled out hole.
Finally Got out my "Favorite" new tool the HTP Pro Pulse 220 MIG and Plug welded the shaft end in Synergic Mode. Almost no splatter and a Good Hot and fast weld. Remounted the wheel assembly and did some more test mowing sans hood.
Saved a few bucks to, since the wheel shaft is $20 to $40 on ebay

Really mowing Nice Now.

Attachments

• PXL_20220612_012525848.jpg
    PXL_20220612_012525848.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 96
  • PXL_20220612_012142196.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220612_012142196.MP.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 90
  • PXL_20220612_013023718.jpg
    PXL_20220612_013023718.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 94
  • PXL_20220612_014020922.jpg
    PXL_20220612_014020922.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I love the larger Deere riders. I had a GT235 before this X500. i did have something go wrong with the Tranny on the GT235 but parts were readily available and was able to tear into it myself and fix.
Update

No records,
but I did get the Original owners manual today, and am holding the Husky dealer to one set of 3 new compatible deck blades. They did not order any or know if they had any in stock because JD is a bit tight on the info according to the parts person.
Told them I would find the info in the manual, to not waste their time trying to dig through the manual, and get back to them with the JD and interchange numbers. I have since confirmed this X500 is a 2008 model and also that it has the smaller 48 inch deck.
Surprised this hydro has no external screw on Hydrostat filter, the manual only shows a listing for the X534 and X540 for it but it does have an internal pleated filter for the transaxle.

/ Well used X 500 Impulse buy #36  
Update

No records,
but I did get the Original owners manual today, and am holding the Husky dealer to one set of 3 new compatible deck blades. They did not order any or know if they had any in stock because JD is a bit tight on the info according to the parts person.
Told them I would find the info in the manual, to not waste their time trying to dig through the manual, and get back to them with the JD and interchange numbers. I have since confirmed this X500 is a 2008 model and also that it has the smaller 48 inch deck.
Surprised this hydro has no external screw on Hydrostat filter, the manual only shows a listing for the X534 and X540 for it but it does have an internal pleated filter for the transaxle.

I always thought it was weird that the K72 didn't have a screw-on filter too, but I think the Cub Cadet shaft-drive's are the only medium-duty garden tractor that have one.

/ Well used X 500 Impulse buy #37  

Attachments

• X500_blades.jpg
    X500_blades.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 69
I always thought it was weird that the K72 didn't have a screw-on filter too, but I think the Cub Cadet shaft-drive's are the only medium-duty garden tractor that have one.
Yeah, I thought it was funny our old MTD that we bought the x 500 to replace has a full size screw on hydro filter and also has a reservoir that looks to be about 3 times the volume of the K72 plus it is also divorced from the hydro unit which may be better at dissipating heat.

Today I needed to weight roll our driveway after spreading some 3/4 minus with the Rhino tractor and box blade.

Figured it would be nice to use the x500 to pull the roller.

So I modified a generic short receiver from HF and mounted it up with three 3/8" bolts and also turned a nut down to the ID of the existing hitch hole and then MIGed it on along with a center upper L bracket.

If the receiver comes loose, my guess is the Hydro will be toast long before the hitch comes loose.

The roller is a "Manual" unit from my FIL's old landscape company for seating "Green side up" sod that we were given years ago.

I added rubber suspension bushings and then just bolted through them and a couple washers and It works well for taking a bit of shock out of starting or stopping.
After a bit of use found the roller was leaking so I drilled out the leaking areas and then plug welded them shut after purging the inner airspace with Argon CO2 mix, and almost full of water Not taking a big chance when welding on a vessel that has much internal volume.

The under Hood fiberglass repair i did is bugging me and the cracks really detract from the mowers overall condition, so if i have some extra time tomorrow may try and do a little body work and see if using Fizz can Van Sickle JD Green to the the hoods plastic casting line can improve the looks a bit.

Attachments

• PXL_20220619_035043001.jpg
    PXL_20220619_035043001.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20220619_002153722.MP_exported_900.jpg
    PXL_20220619_002153722.MP_exported_900.jpg
    935 KB · Views: 74
Last edited: